First time all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my standard recipe for my house ipa is 18 lbs 2-row, 2 lbs vienna, 2 lbs munich, and 2 lbs crystal 60. that's for 10 gallons. cut that in 1/2 for your question

Dizzaale,

Look through the recipe lists on this forum for a good idea. Also, for going all grain (like any change in recipe type) I would suggest buying a kit.

Tall_Yotie said:
Dizzaale,

Look through the recipe lists on this forum for a good idea. Also, for going all grain (like any change in recipe type) I would suggest buying a kit.

I agree with the first part. It's best to look at established recipes before venturing out on your own. But kits can be limited compared to just buying ingredients. The downside to a la carte purchasing is you usually end up with extra stuff. One place that I know of that lets you pick exactly how much you need is Brewmasters Warehouse but they seem to rather pricey even when compared to LHBS.

I think the advice given to use an established recipe is a good idea.

There is a lot to learn about all grain, and brew day fills up with little tiny details that all add up to a great hobby and wonderful beer. But take the time to step up to it, and recipe development is its own huge piece.

Back