Wyeast 3944 Witbier Floccing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep1980

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The description says medium floccing. I just took the towel off my carboy and I have never seen a brighter wort ever. I remember one batch I could see all the way through the carboy wort, but I don't recall the yeast.

Has anyone else found this yeast flocc incredibly well?

I just kicked a keg of wit that used 3944 a few weeks back and that one was super clear after I chilled it. I think it depends on the circumstance and what you do with the boil/mash/fermentation. I used finings, so that helped too probably.

I didn't use finings, and mine was partial mash in the low 150s. One thing I did was pitch at the hot end of the range, and put in a cooler area to primary.

That might have kick started the fermentation but I would think you'd want to pitch lower and then let it come up and finally raise it a degree or 2 more to get the yeast to clean up a bit.

That might have kick started the fermentation but I would think you'd want to pitch lower and then let it come up and finally raise it a degree or 2 more to get the yeast to clean up a bit.

I pitched an additional yeast and went to 75F for the purpose of that.

I used 3463 (Wyeast Forbidden Fruit) and found it to be a good flocc also. It floccs better than 3787. I'm planning on using 3463 on tripels from now on.

I think the key for haze in wits is to have some unconverted starches at the end of the mash.

Back