Water heating techniques?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colby

Reaction score
What's a good technique for heating strike and sparge water to such a precise degree? Flame on low-medium until within a few degrees? Flame on high until within a few degrees? Heat slow? Heat fast? Stir a lot?

I've done some steeping on the stove top, but haven't tried to target a temp over a 105,000 BTU jet burner yet....seems like it might be a little more difficult.

" Good judgment comes from experience, and most of that comes from bad judgment" - Will Rogers.

In other words, you will just have to figure out what works for you and your equipment over the course of a few batches.

why not just overheat it then let it sit in cooler until it drops to temp you want?

That works great for mashing- but not so much for sparging. :D

You get to where you know your system- if it continues to heat after you've turned off the flame, for example. The first couple of times are a learning experience, that's for sure!

A good fast-reading thermometer is crucial. A thermometer that takes a couple of minutes to register is just not going to work well for our purposes.

why not just overheat it then let it sit in cooler until it drops to temp you want?
This.

For strike water, I heat to about 10 degrees above my target, then transfer the water to my mash tun. After a few minutes, I check the temperature. If it's still to high, I either stir to speed cooling, or I add very small amounts of cold water and then wait a minute before checking the temperature again. Patience is key here. If you try to drop the temperature too fast, overshooting and ending up too cool is practically guaranteed.

I batch sparge, so I don't worry so much about my sparge temperature. 175-180 is close enough.

I've got a 26 qt. Bayou Classic with a 5500 watt element that I use for heating my strike and sparge water. Faster and more precise than using a gas burner. I usually go over temp, then keep the cover on until it cools to target temperature.

Latest posts

Back