Avanti 5.0 Cu. Ft. Compact Refrigerators

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just bought one here http://www.homeeverything.com/web/sitefiles/product.asp?sku=27396&ref=cPricegrabber for $189.95. Can't wait for the price to drop or risk it rising.

Does anybody know if I can drill for a tap on the left side? I can't do the top because I need to put another 4.6 CuFt on top of it. I lager and carb in that fridge. The 4.6 has the freezer stuff on top so a ball lock keg will not fit and a pin locker will not clear with the disconnects on it.

I can't really tap the door as I need clearance on that side to walk by. Changing the kegs doesn't happen too often so there is room to open the door when needed.

I can't rotate it as there is a short set of stairs on left side that will prevent the door from opening.

Either way, its coming. I have been thinking of seeing if I can use ultrasonics to see what is under the skins on these things.

I would not drill into either side. There are refrigerator coils running up and down both sides wrapping back and forth that if you hit you will have a nice expensive box and nothing else.

Anyone post some pictures of this thing in process? Or completed etc? I am considering picking one up to mount a tower on to... It seems like you all are making progress.

I have some pictures but the process isn't complete. I will post all the pics when i am complete. Hopefully it will be done by next weekend.

I would not drill into either side. There are refrigerator coils running up and down both sides wrapping back and forth that if you hit you will have a nice expensive box and nothing else.

The sides are pretty packed with coils, but I think there may be some space in the top toward the front based on feeling out the sides for heat, but you will need to do the starch trick yourself.

The sides are pretty packed with coils, but I think there may be some space in the top toward the front based on feeling out the sides for heat, but you will need to do the starch trick yourself.

Is there a trick to doing the "starch trick" on the side of the unit?

.6 more cubic feet for $3 also At Lowes I will pay tax.
About $193 for me to buy it at lowes. I am going back and forth on it. Maybe i should check my lowes are display/damaged/returned models as well.

I'm happy with the 13 gallons I serve from my frigidaire, and am in the process of putting in a 3 tap tower. I also like that it's one of the options out there with a smaller foot print in my apt, and still has a nice clean look. Good lookin out on this though! Keep us updated, I'll have to tell my buds about it

I don't know the dimensions of a 10 pound tank but the 5# tank fits with lots of extra room. So depending on how much bigger a 10# tank is than a 5# tank it might fit.

I don't know the dimensions of a 10 pound tank but the 5# tank fits with lots of extra room. So depending on how much bigger a 10# tank is than a 5# tank it might fit.

I'm looking at the ones from KegCowboy...

10 Lbs is
Height 19.75 “
Diameter 6.75”

5lbs is
Height 18.25 “
Diameter 5.25”

Assuming yours is about the same it should fit.... right?

Just competed my keggerator here are some pics of the process. I haven't moved the thermostat yet though i have unscrewed it, i am planning on just balancing it on the keg that will be right up against it when it is full and re screwing it in if i only have 1 keg on tap.

IMG_1165.jpg

IMG_1168.jpg

IMG_1169.jpg

IMG_1191.jpg

IMG_1192.jpg

Looks great! My tower is on the way hopefully I'll get mine completed over xmas break... its okay, I don't have any beer ready right now anyway.

What type of modifications are need to make a 6/6.5 gal carboy or Better Bottle fit in this fridge? Anything major of just pulling plastic off of the door...?

Thanks

Getting rid of the plastic in the doors MIGHT work but i doubt it. The best bet would be to create a collar like they do for the keezers and add some cubic footage to the fridge.

Removing the shelves from the door does work. See my liink above. That is a 6 gallon Betterbottle in the pic.

Eric, what kind of wood did you use to support your tower? From the picture it almost looks like a paneling or is it plywood?

The rubber seal is just wedged into a slot in the door. Pull straight up. It's easy once you get it started.

Just to confirm. My 6 gallon glass carboy has a diameter of 11.5" and a height of 22.5". Would this work if I remove the door shelving? Would hate to order this thing and find out it won't fit...I guess I could always put a 6 gallon Better Bottle instead though.

Thanks all.

It's just a piece of cheap plywood, I did tape it up with some waterproofing tape though.

Sorry for such a late reply but I'm working on my own conversion and am now to this step.....Is your tower pretty sturdy with the plywood? I am using a piece of engineered wood and am debating whether to use the screws that came with the tower and screw through the wood and all the way through the refrigerator, or screw into just the wood. If I screw into only the wood I was thinking I needed to secure the wood to the top of the fridge (not the very top that comes off) but it seems like you just taped it to the very top piece of the fridge. Was this sufficient for you? Thanks.

I followed the steps in this thread for cutting a hole in the top and it went fine. I didn't even use the cornstarch method, I just felt around on the styrofoam with my hand and could feel warm spots towards the rear of the top. Then using a razor I just carefully cut a hole into top center of the fridge through the styrofoam. As far as I can tell, I never came close to a coil. I just ended up finding the plastic top of the inside of the fridge. So, thanks to everybody for the detailed descriptions! I was nervous about drilling through the top knowing there was a coil in there somewhere.

So, I'm quite clueless in the keg conversion arena but I'd really like to get the Avanti mini fridge for my husband for Christmas and convert it to a kegerator for a bar we are building. Does anyone have detailed instructions from start to finish on how to convert this fridge?

I'm located in Cincinnati, Ohio and if you know of anyone locally who can convert it for a good price, I'd be interested in that as well.

Thank you so much for your help - as I'm kind of late in the game considering Christmas is less than a week away! :drunk:

So, I'm quite clueless in the keg conversion arena but I'd really like to get the Avanti mini fridge for my husband for Christmas and convert it to a kegerator for a bar we are building. Does anyone have detailed instructions from start to finish on how to convert this fridge?

I'm located in Cincinnati, Ohio and if you know of anyone locally who can convert it for a good price, I'd be interested in that as well.

Thank you so much for your help - as I'm kind of late in the game considering Christmas is less than a week away! :drunk:

is your husband handy? Maybe just buy everything and let him put it together. I'm sure he'll still love it. I'd love to help but unfortunately I don't have any time from now until Christmas. However, with that being said, it really isn't too hard. Once you get the materials it's just a few cuts and drills and your done. Plenty of good info on here once you know for sure what kind of fridge you'll have. If you have specific questions post away and someone here will help.

Back