Yeast starter exploded

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AgentHubcap

Reaction score
I made my first yeast starter last night in a 1 gal growler. It was roughly 2/3 full.

I got home from work today and found waxy goo all over the place. The mouth of the bottle is caked in the waxy goo, too.

Is this still safe to use, or should I pick up a vial of yeast before I brew tomorrow?

How's it smell? I'd probably use it if you don't think any nasties got in. What did you have it covered in/with? Did anything unsanitary touch the wort?

I bet it's fine. read the thread about the things people have done wrong and still had their beers turn out ok, and you'll feel better.

The cap was loosely on (and still on after the blowout). Never had a blow out, so I don't know what is normal and what isn't...

Smells like wort.

If I'm reading this correctly, it sounds like you screwed the cap on your growler on loosely, but it was a couple threads on. The starter grew, and pushed krausen out the top, with the cap still on. If that's the case, you're probably fine, because the starter was covered, and producing out pressure.

Back