Sweetwater Happy Ending Imperial Stout Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbrookeiv

Crafted Magazine
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Interested in brewing something similar to this. I've got a basic stout recipe on the way that should end up at about 7-8%, so I'm really just looking for a hop schedule that would work. Here's the info from Sweetwater's website.

A huge dry humped hopped stiffy of an Imperial Stout is a full-figured beer results in an explosive finish. Guaranteed to put a smile on your face.

Specs – Our imperial Stout weighing in at a little over 9% ABV is available in Six Packs, kegs and Liter bottles.

Grain – 2 Row, Roasted Barley, Black, 70/80, Chocolate

Hops – Centennial, Williamette

Dry Hopped – Cascade and Simcoe

I just purchased the following hops from Wholesale Hops, what hops do you think would work in the boil and for dry hopping?

4 nugget whole hops oz @ $0.75 = $3.00
2 sterling whole hops oz @ $0.90 = $1.80
4 cascade whole hops oz 2010 @ $0.85 = $3.40
4 mt hood whole hops oz @ $0.90 = $3.60
2 Styrian Goldings pellets oz @ $1.00 = $2.00
2 Liberty pellet hops oz @ $0.85 = $1.70
2 Magnum Pellets oz @ $0.90 = $1.80
2 Hersbrucker German pellets oz @ $0.80 = $1.60
4 Sorachi Ace pellet hops oz @ $1.15 = $4.60
2 Bullion pellet hops oz @ $0.65 = $1.30
4 East Kent Goldings pellet hops oz @ $1.30 = $5.20

I also have an ounce of Amarillo pellets sitting around and the following from MoreBeer:

Sterling Whole Hops (2 oz)
Sterling Pellet Hops (2 oz)
Northern Brewer Whole Hops (2 oz)
Czech Saaz Whole Hops (2 oz)
Glacier Pellets - (2 oz)

I kind of went on a hop buying spree, I guess! :ban:

Anyway, here's what I was thinking. Let me know what you think!

2oz of EKG, bittering
1oz of Cascade, flavor/aroma
1oz of Cascade and 1oz of Amarillo, dry hopping

What do you guys think? If you've never had Happy Ending, it's pretty damn hoppy.

Happy ending is a really hoppy Imperial Stout IMO. Assuming you mean for a 5 gallon batch around 1.080 I would think this would be way too sweet @ 45IBU or so... I'm guessing this beer is at least 70+.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Happy ending is a really hoppy Imperial Stout IMO. Assuming you mean for a 5 gallon batch around 1.080 I would think this would be way too sweet @ 45IBU or so... I'm guessing this beer is at least 70+.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

True. How about doubling the EKG and flavoring Cascade additions?

I actually got a hold of a brewer at sweetwater about brewing their Happy Ending, I wrote down what he said, Ill find it for you.

I'm definitely interested in making this one. But I'll be using an extract equivalent instead of the 2 Row Malt grains, and steeping the Chocolate, Roasted Barley, and Black Patent.

It's interesting; I'm fermenting a Bell's Chocolate Porter clone at the moment, as well as a Two-Hearted clone, and this recipe, between the Chocolate and Black malts, and the Centennial hops, looks like a combination of the Chocolate Porter and the Two-Hearted. Makes sense, cause it's one helluva beer!

I'm thinking about dry-hopping my Bell's Chocolate Porter clone to put it in the Happy Ending hoppy direction. Anyone with much experience dry-hopping porters?

84% 2 row Malt
8% 80L
3% Chocolate
3% Roasted Barley
2% Black Patent

Hops are based off a 5.5 gallon
2oz Centennial 60min
2oz Centennial 30min
1oz Centennial 15min
1oz Willamette 5min
Dry Hop 1.5 oz Cascade and 1.5oz Simcoe

Wyeast 1968

Has anyone tried this recipe? Is it any good? How do you convert the % of grains to weight? Sorry for any stupid questions...I am new at this.

Ditto. I really like the beer and I would love a recipe for a five gallon batch.

:rockin: This beer rocks! :rockin: I, also, think a 5 gallon all grain recipe would be stellar if anyone has it. I have been searching the internet and can't find it anywhere.

An estimate of the % to #s that would give you the ABV of 9% is as follows:
17 lbs. Pale 2 row malt
1 lbs and 10 oz of Crystal 80
10 oz Chocolate Malt
10 oz Roasted Barley
6 oz Black (Patent) Malt

I am sure you could just go with 17, 1.5, .5, .5, and .25 if you just wanted to keep it simple

An estimate of the % to #s that would give you the ABV of 9% is as follows:
17 lbs. Pale 2 row malt
10 oz Chocolate Malt
10 oz Roasted Barley
6 oz Black (Patent) Malt

I am sure you could just go with 17, 1.5, .5, .5, and .25 if you just wanted to keep it simple

Thanks! I have this on my list to try. I will let you know how it turns out.

Suggestions on about how many #s DME you would use instead of the 2-row?

Happy Ending is one of my all-time favorites and would love to do this one next...even if spring is here and summer is around the bend.

I just bought all the ingredients to make a 3 gallon batch of this. The recipe is scaled down from what bh10 posted.

I'll update in a couple of months when it's ready to drink, then we'll have a real-world example of how close this recipe gets to the real thing!

Thanks

It's been in the carboy for two weeks, so we're getting there.

I had a terrible brewday though. I'd never dealt with that much grain so I missed the OG and only got in the 1070s. I also got flustered and forgot the last hop addition.

So I may have to try a 2nd time to see how close the recipe is because this won't technically be the recipe that was given by the sweetwater guy brewer.

I'm thinking it will still be pretty tasty though.

It's been in the carboy for two weeks, so we're getting there.

I had a terrible brewday though. I'd never dealt with that much grain so I missed the OG and only got in the 1070s. I also got flustered and forgot the last hop addition.

So I may have to try a 2nd time to see how close the recipe is because this won't technically be the recipe that was given by the sweetwater guy brewer.

I'm thinking it will still be pretty tasty though.
Next time had some flaked barley and no 15 minute addition along with the 30 minute cent, add some willamette to it, shoot for a 1.082 OG.

Hey bh10 - what's the reason for adding the flaked barley? And for changing the hop additions?

Just curious, thanks.

Also - I bottled my 3 gallon batch of this last night and the wort tasted delicious. Pretty close to how I remember Happy Ending. I'll have to compare to the real thing in a few weeks when the bottles are carbed up and ready to go.

Bottles are carb and ready to go. And its most excellent, hops change this year a little. Its a VERY hoppy RIS, not like past years. If you like hops you'll love it this year.

Hey bh10 - I'm a little confused, are you referring to changes you made to your personal clone batch, or are you referring to changes Sweetwater made to their recipe?

And why the flaked barley? Just for head retention?

On a side note, do you work at The Brewhouse in little 5?

Thanks again

Hey bh10 - I'm a little confused, are you referring to changes you made to your personal clone batch, or are you referring to changes Sweetwater made to their recipe?

And why the flaked barley? Just for head retention?

On a side note, do you work at The Brewhouse in little 5?

Thanks again

No not on my clone I never made a clone of it, I guess I could if I wanted, Ive made enough of it this year, Ill just drink the fruits of my labor :D. And the reason for flaked barly is b/c that's whats in it.

Never heard of the brewhouse in little 5,

Finally had one - it's pretty, pretty good. A little less sweet/drier than I remember the actual Happy Ending being.

I haven't had a Happy Ending since last year, so I can't really compare. I'll have get some for a side by side comp.

I definitely recommend the recipe though.

Hey bh10 here is an extract recipe that I came up with to hopefully get close to Happy Ending. I used some of the above Info I'm just not too sure if I sawpped out the 2-Row correctly. I also backed down to 1oz cascade and 10z simcoe for dryhop just so I wouldnt have any leftover hops. But if necessary I will use 1.5 for both I definitely don't want to shortchange this brew. I would really appreciate it if you could let me know if you think this recipe will be close. I recently had my first happy ending "beer" the other day and I fell in love and really want to make something close to it. Thanks.

9 lbs dark liquid extract
10 oz Chocolate Malt
10 oz Roasted Barley
6 oz Black (Patent) Malt
8oz. flaked barley
2oz Centennial 60min
2oz Willamette 5min
Dry Hop 1 oz Cascade and 1 oz Simcoe

OG 1.083
IBU 52

Came up with a recipe and brewed it this weekend. will let you know when its done how it came out.

7.6 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 2
18 lbs 6.8 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 3
1 lbs 12.6 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 4
11.0 oz Chocolate Malt (420.0 SRM) Grain 5
11.1 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 6
1.0 oz Centennial [10.0%] - Boil 60 min Hops 7
1.0 oz Centennial [10.0%] - Boil 30 min Hops 8
1.2 oz Centennial [10.0%] - Boil 15 min Hops 9
10.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60 min) Misc 1
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10 min) Misc 10
1 pkgs London ESB Ale (Wyeast Labs #1968) Yeast 11
1.5 oz Cascade [5.5%] - Dry Hop 4 days Hops 12
1.5 oz Simcoe [13.0%] - Dry Hop 4 days Hops 13

Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Style: Imperial Stout (13F)
Boil Size: 6.70 gal
Style Guide: BJCP 2008
Color: 48.2 SRM
Equipment: Pot and Cooler ( 5 Gal/19 L) - All Grain
Bitterness: 51.7 IBUs
Boil Time: 80 min
Est OG: 1.112 (26.1° P)
Mash Profile: Single Infusion, Medium Body
Est FG: 1.041 SG (10.2° P)
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage
ABV: 9.5%

Came up with a recipe and brewed it this weekend. will let you know when its done how it came out.

7.6 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 2
18 lbs 6.8 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 3
1 lbs 12.6 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 4
11.0 oz Chocolate Malt (420.0 SRM) Grain 5
11.1 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 6
1.0 oz Centennial [10.0%] - Boil 60 min Hops 7
1.0 oz Centennial [10.0%] - Boil 30 min Hops 8
1.2 oz Centennial [10.0%] - Boil 15 min Hops 9
10.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60 min) Misc 1
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10 min) Misc 10
1 pkgs London ESB Ale (Wyeast Labs #1968) Yeast 11
1.5 oz Cascade [5.5%] - Dry Hop 4 days Hops 12
1.5 oz Simcoe [13.0%] - Dry Hop 4 days Hops 13

Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Style: Imperial Stout (13F)
Boil Size: 6.70 gal
Style Guide: BJCP 2008
Color: 48.2 SRM
Equipment: Pot and Cooler ( 5 Gal/19 L) - All Grain
Bitterness: 51.7 IBUs
Boil Time: 80 min
Est OG: 1.112 (26.1° P)
Mash Profile: Single Infusion, Medium Body
Est FG: 1.041 SG (10.2° P)
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage
ABV: 9.5%

What is everyone Mashing this at? I'm guessing around 150?

After making several high gravity brews, I would not try to mash 18.5# of Pale Malt and expect to hit my gravity. I would drop out at least 6# and use Malt Extract and maybe a little sugar to replace it. An estimated FG of 1.041 seems way too high for me. I would play with sugar, mash temp, and yeast to make sure I finished at least in the 20s. Also, 10 grams of gypsum seems high (although it is a hoppy beer). If I was doing salt additions, which I usually do, I would want some calcuim carbonate (chalk) with all those dark grains. I use Palmer's spead sheet for salt additions. Just a few thoughts.

After making several high gravity brews, I would not try to mash 18.5# of Pale Malt and expect to hit my gravity. I would drop out at least 6# and use Malt Extract and maybe a little sugar to replace it. An estimated FG of 1.041 seems way too high for me. I would play with sugar, mash temp, and yeast to make sure I finished at least in the 20s. Also, 10 grams of gypsum seems high (although it is a hoppy beer). If I was doing salt additions, which I usually do, I would want some calcuim carbonate (chalk) with all those dark grains. I use Palmer's spead sheet for salt additions. Just a few thoughts.

Exactly what I already planned on doing, replaced with LME (0.75lb/lb of grain). Yesterday was free white house kit with purchase > $125 at NB so used that as good excuse to order ingredients for this beer as well as Janet's Brown ale!

Brewed this last night, used 10lbs 2-row with other grains and replaced remaining 7lbs 2row w/ 6lbs LME (was about 5.3 lb calculated but figured some loss of efficiency would be made up for with even 6lb) at flameout. The mash was really thick (5gal cooler was maxed out) but nailed an OG of 1.085. Smelled really good with the loads of hops additions! Quickest start to airlock activity I've had ever (blow off after 7-8 hrs).

Update, week 4 in primary. FG is 1.019. Threw in the 3 oz of dry hops. The sample (couple drips on the tongue) was amazing, this might just be one of the best beers I've done thus far. Will get it kegged next weekend and let in rest in CO2 @ room temp until sometime in Nov. Should be a great Thanksgiving!

Update, Kegged 10/18. So 8 wks total since brewed. Started carbing 11/19 and tasted a glass 11/21 and damn is this good already....definitely a little early, can tell this will be excellent by Xmas but it's already hard not to drink. I'm not a big stout fan, even certain RIS's but this is by far my favorite from anything I have ever bought and will be brewing this again! Will be entering it into a stout contest over the Holidays.

Keg was dry a few weeks ago. This beer was one of the best I have done. Highly recommend it, tasted side by side with my buddies traditional stout (I think it was an oatmeal stout) and they tasted so different it was ridiculous. This one was so floral and hopped up, it really stood out. I wished I could have entered it into a contest! Will definitely brew this many more times to come!

Latest posts

Back