Is it bad to leave in seconday fermenter too long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kryznic

Reaction score
I brewed a batch of beer and after I racked it to the secondary I kinda forgot about it, vaca, hot weather, bbq's and car shows got the best of me. It has been in the secondary for a 4-6 weeks.

Is it still good or should I just ditch it and start over?

Thanks!

-Chris

It's probably fine. Some beers actually thrive with long secondaries. However, that being said, it really depends on the recipe, temps, etc. But overall, 4-6 weeks isn't that bad regardless. Now if it was a hefe and it was 6 weeks and the temp was close to 80, that may not be the case!

It's a IPA and the temps have been pretty consistently mid 70's with a 80 or more once in a while (when my AC broke for a day or 2). I guess I will give it a try anyway and see what happens.

taste it. you may need to give it a quick dry hop to restore the hop profile as hops mellow over time. Some IPA's are better aged, but if it were me I'd toss another ounce in there for 5-7 days and keg/bottle.

taste it. you may need to give it a quick dry hop to restore the hop profile as hops mellow over time. Some IPA's are better aged, but if it were me I'd toss another ounce in there for 5-7 days and keg/bottle.

Good idea! I wouldn't have thought of that. Thanks!

i'd dry hop it also, but otherwise, it'll benefit from the aging as long as it's sealed good, and oxygen stays out of it. an ipa is good for longer than that, since they were developed to stay good for long ocean voyages

Back