Goat milk mozzarella

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ringwood

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am new to cheese making and just started out trying some mozzarella. I have had good luck with making it from store bought pasteurized milk.

I decided to try some fresh unpasteurized goat milk that I was able to get at a local co-op. I followed the same recipes that I had been using for cow's milk and everything looked perfect right up to the point I get up at the final stage to cook the curd.

As soon as I started warming it up it begin to separate and I ended up with a small clump of curd in a bowl of what looked like milk. It never got smooth and shiny, it just remains a lump of cheese curd in milk.

I have been using liquid animal rennet.

I'm not sure what goes wrong with using unpasteurized goat milk or what I need to do to change it up.

Thanks for the reply.
I added citric acid (1-1/2 tsp-gal) to milk and heated it up very slowly to 90°. At that point I added the liquid rennet (1/4 tsp-gal). I let it sit for about 10 minutes, cut the curd and slowly warmed it to 105 degrees, and let it sit for another 10 or 15 minutes.

Once I extended these times to about 30 minutes each.

Each tine the result was very nice firm cubes of curd. I strained these for about 15 minutes and placed in a shallow bowl.

To cook, one time I tried the microwave and another time I warm it in a double boiler to get to 135 degrees. Both time the curd separated shortly after it begin to warm.

2015-09-29_06.04.58.jpg

Did you try to knead it at that point? It's been a while since I've made mozz. I think it got a bit crumbly at first, then pulled fine after handling a little bit.

Back