What hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sablesurfer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, so last year I took cuttings of all of my hops and pretty much EVERYthing rooted except the magnums. So, that would be, Columbus, Cascade, Chinook, Centennial and Willamette as the ones I am sure were left.

There were two of each, one of them fell out of a bottle when I wasn't looking. I got it back in and it lived....BUT...I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IT WAS??

I thought I gave away one of each and I know I still have one of each, so maybe a magnum rooted?!?!

Anyway, I planted it last year and it came up with some very strange hop arrangements.

The hops grew in clusters, like upsidedown pyramid clusters. So not just one hop, but bunches together.

This year that one plant smells like garlic and onion and funk. This is just the leaves! They plant itself is still growing super happy as all the other cuttings, second year, but it has this dank smell to whole plant the other hops do not.

Anyone got a thought? What kind of weird thing have I got here?

Chuck it and get new rhizomes/crowns? Just don't grow them, brew the greatest beer ever and hope you can recreate it someday. That would be a sad story!

Back