Noob Grower, Dead? Bine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoisufnoC

Reaction score
So I planted late this season just to grow as a hobby. I wasn't expecting to get a really large output of cones. I planted one in each half barrel pot, with potting soil from the local nursery.

I've posted a few times in this section, so some of you may have an idea of what I've done.

Anyway. All was going well with my Cascades pot. I had one happy, bright green, bine that was quickly growing. Until the other day I started noticing that some of its leaves were getting dry and crispy around the edges. Then this morning I went out there to water and the entire bine was wilted and looked dead. I do have 2 other tiny bines poking through in the pot, so maybe the whole plant hasn't gone to waste.

Any suggestions on what I can do different? I've been watering every morning with 1 gal of water, the pots are fairly large and are in partial sun, and the ambient temps here have been 90-100 degrees. I've also been fertilizing with liquid fertilizer mixed into the above mentioned water about once a week.

If at first you dont succeed...try try again :mug:

In 100 degrees days the 1 gal per day watering may be ideal unless as mentioned you have no drainage and the roots are bogged (that just happens to look just like under watering).

The weekly fertilizing is overkill, IMO, unless you are using a diluted mixor it is an organic blend with very low N-P-K levels. Hops take up tons of nitrogen while they build their foliage and then store it there. After that their Nitrogen needs diminish as they release the stored Nitrogen from the foliage. Once they bloom it is better to switch to a low nitrogen blend with decent levels of potassium (overall plant health) and phosphorous (flowers and blooms).

At least I think that's right. I always just use a baance blend with low nitrogen so, I may have the P & K benifit backwards.

Anyway, your best practice on the water is to dig a finger in as deep as you can get. If your finger comes out with soil residue stuck to it, there is enough water in the soil. If not (as in your finger is just dusty) the you are letting the soil get too dry. Btw, you are trying to see what the moisture is like at about 3 inches below surface level.

Hops don't need much fertilizer until they hit 5-6 feet, so you might have over done that.

so what do i do with these dead pots? can i salvage the plants for next season? or just throw them away and start fresh with new plants next season?

so what do i do with these dead pots? can i salvage the plants for next season? or just throw them away and start fresh with new plants next season?

Well, try coaxing the soil away from the rhisome gently. If you see any new shoots (white fingers, look like bean sprouts) or, if the rhisome is still brownish and firm to the touch, then cover them back up and wait.

If however, you find the rhisome and it's the color of black coffee, limp, and spongy when squoze (seeping lots of water out) then it's toast. All you can do then is wait til next sales eason and try again. Pitch the bodies into compost (or trash) and plan your next approach.

Back