Same batch, differing fermentation with same yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark_

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a strange one. I brewed a 12 gallon batch of a Milk Stout yesterday and put it in two 6.5 gallon buckets and then into the fermentation chamber at 68 degrees. I oxygenated 1 and then pitched one vial of WLP001. It is bubbling as of this morning.

I forgot to oxygenate the second one initially so pitched the same yeast. I then remembered to aerate so then pumped oxygen, not air but pure O2, into the pitched bucket. This bucket is showing zero signs of activity this morning. The lid isn't even showing signs of being under pressure. Should I wait or pitch more? Did I kill my yeast?

Thanks!

You might be right. When I popped it open it did flow over... like an overcarbonated brew!

You certainly didn't kill your yeast if everything else went as it should.

How long after pitch did you aearate?

It was moments after actually. Within a minute.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Take a measurment of both fermentors. I would't be surprised if they show the same.

I had the same "issue" not too long ago. 11 gallon batch split between 2 fermenters, pitched the same yeast in both from the same starter. The next day only one was bubbling. Same thing on day 2. Turns out one of the buckets wasn't sealed properly, therefore no airlock activity.

This is going on day two and all is well. The bubbling started within 12 hours of cracking the lid and looking inside. It may have been a badly sealed lid as well. I can never be sure but at least all is good.

Thank you folks!

Back