Over the Top Brewery almost finished.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunmetal

Reaction score
Got the electric ran and have done some prelimary tests. Need to work out a couple things, and paint the stand, other than that, it is finally finished.. Started the project almost two years ago. The pumps are 90 volt DC and have variable speed. It is a BCS 460 setup with rims recirculation. The chiller is a duda diesel with tri clover input and outputs. I've learned a lot from this forum, and have stolen a few ideas along the way. Almost everything on this rig was bought from a scrapyard, surplus stores, or deals on Ebay.
DSC02133.jpg

DSC02134.jpg

DSC02135.jpg

DSC02136.jpg

DSC02138.jpg

Thanks! yea there is a lot of stainless on this rig. The pumps can run low and slow, or crank them up for a CIP sprayball. Still need to weld a support shelf for the chiller. It was getting late when these pictures were taken. I will post a few closeup shots another time.

Very Nice setup. I love all the triclamp fittings. That's cool going with VFD pumps on DC. At first, I had to do a double take because I was looking for the 3 phase power when I read VFD.

I gots both pumps at a scrapyard for $25 total. They both had 3 phase motors on them when purchased. Got one Baldor 1/2hp 90 volt DC washdown motor for $10. The 90v DC drive I got for $5. The second motor was the equalizer, I spent $140 for it. There is a selector switch on top of the control box that switches the DC output between the two pumps, and a potentiometer that varies the speed. They are whisper quiet. The pump seals and case gaskets came surplus off Ebay. This is one reason that this build took so long. I originally was running a March pump, had to redo the pump mounts and triclover plumbing. The control panel is also the second version, after finding the stainless Hoffman enclosure for $25. It had a huge dent in the front panel, so I tried beating it out with no luck. I ended up welding a sandwiched panel to the front and grinding the welds smooth. You can barely tell that the panel was welded to the front door.

A few closeup shots showing the pots for the elements - they are actually boxes I welded up from stainless sheet, sanded smooth and polished. The rims tube has the element potted in a tri clover fitting. Closeup of the rims plumbing with the transfer tubing from the HLT removed so that you get a better view. The last photos are of the BCS control panel with din rail distribution and circuit breakers. Last photo is the 6/4 power cord and flush mounted cooling fan.
DSC02139.jpg

DSC02140.jpg

DSC02141.jpg

DSC02142.jpg

DSC02143.jpg

Back