Double Batch on a Single Tier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phunhog

Reaction score
So how does this sound? It usually takes me about 6 hours to brew an 11 gal batch on my single tier RIMS. That is from roll out to clean up. A big part of that time is heating water for the mash and the clean up. I think I could do two 11 gallon brews in about 8 hours with the following procedure.
-Mash/Sparge/Boil as normal for the first batch
-30 min into the boil insert my immersion chiller, recirculate water through it and into my MLT( this will heat the water near mash temps) and also my HLT for the second batch
-Mash/ Recirculate in MLT while first batch is boiling/chilling
-Drain BK into fermentor (1st batch) and then run off MLT (2nd batch) into BK. After cleaning of course.
-Boil/Chill as normal
I am hoping the end result will be 22 gallons of beer for an 8 hour brew day. It should also result in less propane used and only having to clean up once. Does anybody else do something similar?

Here's something I did up a while ago to estimate how my double brews days would go. It helped to look at where I could overlap processes. I've done the doubles several times now and usually complete within 8 hours. It does make for a long day though and you need to stay focused for the multitasking. Don't start drinking too early and good luck!

Brew_Day_Timeline.PNG

Wow!! That's a great time table. I think Double Brew days make so much more sense from a time management standpoint and it keeps my wife happy. Thanks for sharing.

Latest posts

Back