How long with yeast last?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigTexBrewer

Reaction score
I am thinking of starting 1 gal batches so that I can make many varieties without much risk of having a lot left over if I mess up or don't like the beer. The biggest problem with cutting recipes I see is the yeast. If I buy a dry yeast packet can I just use 20% of the total weight? Should I just put the extra in a zip lock bag and put it in the cabinet? How long can I store dry yeast?

I think once you open a packet of dry yeast, you have to use it. Maybe there's some way to save it, but I doubt a zip lock bag would suffice. I;m curious whether others have found a way to save an opened packet.

The best way to get the most out of your yeast is to re-use it from the bottom of the fermenter.

I started with one gallon also.Just two batches then 2 gallon i would reccomend a two gallon bucket or 3 gallon carboy.Doing 2 gallons you can third everything and 2.5 just half.
For one gallon i wouldnt use more than a third of the yeast.For my 2 gallon batches i use 3-4 grams sometimes half a 11.5gram pack. I have rolled it up and just stuck it in fridge but have since got a vacuume sealer for baggies.Your just going to want to use it up on your next batches.I would find a cool dry place or the fridge just seal it good.
I would also recommend keeping your fridge clean of mold rotting food spills moisture...

I am thinking of starting 1 gal batches so that I can make many varieties without much risk of having a lot left over if I mess up or don't like the beer. The biggest problem with cutting recipes I see is the yeast. If I buy a dry yeast packet can I just use 20% of the total weight? Should I just put the extra in a zip lock bag and put it in the cabinet? How long can I store dry yeast?

I cant remember where I read it, perhaps on the Fermentis site, but I believe they say officially that using the safale products that you should use the yeast within a week of opening. It can stay in the fridge for quite some time if it is un-opened.

I would suspect that it might last longer as Revvey mentions as long as you seal it up and leave in the fridge.

Ziplock used to make a ziplock back with a funny little pump thing that sucked the air out of the bags....dunno if they still have em, would be cheaper than a real vacuum sealer. Tape it shut, throw in a baggie, vacuum and you gold.

VB

Back