HG Beer-Stuck Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctaylor73

Reaction score
Im brewing an Old Rasputin Imperial Stout clone and my OG was 1.097 as of 11/16. It has sat in the primary until today when I moved it to the secondary and dry hopped it. Problem is that the gravity as of 11/24 was 1.036 and 11/29 as well as today stalled at 1.033. The yeast strain I used was the White Labs California Ale 001. Its attenuation is between 73-80%. I am stuck at 66%. Fermentation temperature was between 75 degrees at its most active and 68 degrees at rest. I swirled the primary to attempt to arouse the yeast on 11/29 with not effects. I am hoping that the move to the secondary will help. I asked the local Home Brew Store today about repitching and they suggested I not. Anyone have any suggestions to try to get final gravity down to 1.025 or lower?
I might want to mention that I assume aeration is the issue because I just shake, rattled and rolled the wort for ten minutes prior to the initial pitch. Hope I gave enough information and thanks for the help.

You're over 8% ABV. The yeast probably ceased to function in the high alcohol environment. If you want a lower FG, you'll need to pitch a strain with a higher alcohol tolerance (like champagne yeast). Be careful, though. Pitching champagne yeast may result in beer that is way too dry.

You think that might be the cause even though the yeast strain is tabbed as Alcohol Tolerance: High?

You think that might be the cause even though the yeast strain is tabbed as Alcohol Tolerance: High?

The alcohol tolerance scale used for beer yeasts has it's high level around 9-10%, with the most tolerant being at about 13% (usually with sugar additions). One of your choices is to use a wine yeast, of which champagne yeast (either Lalvin EC-1118 or Red Star Premier Cuvee) as they are good at restarting fermentation (they were originally used to bottle carbonate champage wine).

But, I'm uncertain about the effect of champagne yeast on the dryness of beer.

I believe White Lab's chart for "high" shows 10-15%; the 001 should knock it down. I have it in cake form munching on a bw that started at 1.120 and went to 1.030 before a 3 lb dme/sugar addition. It has been bubbling away for 48 hours hence.

I did blast it with oxygen before adding the blowoff. I may add 1-1.5 lb dme/sugar along with oxygen again tomorrow before allowing it to finish off.

Latest posts

Back