Is aluminum okay?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petetheo

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a new stock pot for brewing. Is aluminum okay or do I have to use stainless or coated?

Look at the bottom of this page under similar threads. It's been discussed a lot. I use aluminum and like it. Wait, where am I?

What about the coated ceramic pots?

I don't use one to brew with but I use one fairly extensively for cooking. I also use it for sparge water. I've never had any issue with it in regards to chipping or flaking, if that is your concern...

This might be off topic but what size of brew pot are you looking at? I decided I would rather have a larger aluminum pot than a smaller stainless steel pot as I started this hobby. For example if you are doing a 5 gallon all grain batch you might need an 8 gallon pot to start with and buying a new SS version might be outside of a person's budjet.

+1 on buying a large pot. A restaurant supply store has big stock pots for cheap. I started with a 7.5gal pot for 5 gal batches, and it was just big enough. Now I use a 15 gal pot for 10 gal batches. Not worrying about boilovers is nice.

I found a 15 gallon AL pot at a restaurant supply shop with shipping for around $60. Easy to drill for the bulkhead/ball valve as well.

I found a 15 gallon AL pot at a restaurant supply shop with shipping for around $60. Easy to drill for the bulkhead/ball valve as well.

I got a 15 gallon aluminum pot. Think the brand was Johnson Rose and I think its 6mm thick...could be wrong about that. Works great though! Think it was in the 80s with shipping

I've read they should be fine as long as you build up a passive oxide layer on them first. Just fill them up with water and boil for 30 minutes.

I did this today, after cleaning, some aluminum pots and they look good to brew with. I used some dawn dish soap to clean mine. I wouldn't recommend oxygen based cleaners or bleach.

Can we ever put an end to this debate? I have both an aluminum pot and stainless pot. THE BEER TASTES EXACTLY THE SAME FROM EITHER POT. As Al Gore says" The debate is over".!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm looking to buy a new stock pot for brewing. Is aluminum okay or do I have to use stainless or coated?

Having cooked for a living, the debate to me is beyond silly. There are positives/negatives to both (and copper as well). And it's not only cost:

1. Aluminum heats up quickly (and is much more responsive on a gas stove if you want to cook within a limited temperature range) but aluminum discolors easy, oxidizes quickly and is prone to scratches (not a big deal in cooking wort).

2. Stainless also oxidizes (however the chromium oxide provides an additional barrier to scratches and corrosion) but stainless is significantly slower to heat up and tougher to maintain a limited temperature range (which is why the high end cookware companies add triple layers of thick aluminum on the bottom to help with those issues).

3. Copper heats up quickly but as the thin tin coating wears, it can oxidize to form verdigris which is poisonous.

So my advice: get whatever vessel is going to fit your stove burners/budget AND look for the NSF seal (analogous to UL Listed seal on electrical equipment). The NSF seal tells you the product has been properly tested and evaluated for food safety applications.

Bottom line: buy what you can afford and be happy with it. Afterall, all you are making is grain broth - it's not like you're not fermenting with it.

DY

I would like to add: A good aluminum trumps a cheap stainless. My stainless is so thin that I have gotten some scorching on the bottom. A thicker bottomed quality pot will not do that as quickly.

Latest posts

Back