Got me some Falconer's Flight hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spiny_norman

Reaction score
Anyone used these before? Do they play well with other varieties? Was thinking of doing a single hop IPA, with a small Rye addition; 1.065 OG.

I have some, haven't used them yet though. It is a mix of several varieties. I read it has simcoe, sorachi ace, Amarillo, citra, and some other c hops, but I am not positive what's in there. It's probably good on it's own. I plan to do a single hop beer with mine.

I've got a pound on order myself. Have only tried one beer which features FF before and to be honest I think Maui Brewing Company's FF IPA sucked. Then again I've thought that about most of their beers.
Was thinking I would do something in the Rye family as well, great idea! Let me know how things come along, it's always exciting playing with new hops!

I'd agree with your original thought and go with a Single Hop IPA or PA so you can get more familiar with it. Not sure on the Rye addition, as I've not had a rye beer with falconer's in it. It's a great hop, though.

I didn't know Falconers Flight was going to available so soon. Last I heard it was going to be December. Where did you get yours if it's this years?

Ubermick and I did a Drakes clone that used 6oz in secondary. It has an amazing aroma to it. Next time I'd probably up the bitterness a bit, but it's my favorite IPA. Here's for a 10gal batch..

23.5*lb American 2-row
1.75*lb Caramel Malt 40L
0.5*lb Honey Malt
0.94*oz Magnum (20.5%) - added during boil, boiled 85.0*m
1.33*oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 30.0*m
1.33*oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 15.0*m
2.0*ea Whirlfloc Tablets (Irish moss) - added during boil, boiled 10.0*m
2.0*tsp Wyeast Nutrient - added during boil, boiled 10.0*m
2.25*oz Falconer's Flight (10.5%) - added during boil, boiled 0.0*m
1.5*oz Chinook (13.0%) - added during boil, boiled 0.0*m
2.0*ea Fermentis US-05 Safale US-05
6.0*oz Falconer's Flight (10.5%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
2.25*oz Chinook (13.0%) - added dry to secondary fermenter

I didn't know Falconers Flight was going to available so soon. Last I heard it was going to be December. Where did you get yours if it's this years?

Austin Homebrew, but I don't know if it's this year's crop as there is no date on the website. I assumed it was this years as I didn't recall seeing it listed until very recently.

Latest posts

Back