2nd All Grain Success

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew_Meister

Reaction score
Did my second AG today. No major issues to report other than a lower than expected sparge temp. I wanted to sparge with 168 degree water, but by the time I transferred it from my kettle to the tun, I lost about 5 degrees. I just need to tweek my process a little to fix that , but shouldn't be a big issue I dont think.

It was Guinness Draught Clone and it looks beautiful. :rockin:

I hit my numbers pretty close:
Expected OG: 1.036
Acutal OG: 1.038

I think my efficiency was around 81% according to Beersmith2. Could someone help me with the formula and verify that.

Pre-boil OG and volume: 1.028 and 7.9 gals
Post-boil OG and volume: 1.038 and 5.5 gals

My first came in around 70% efficiency. Anything I should look at to keep consistency or is this not that big of difference. Moving to AG was the best move in home brewing that I have made. Though its more work, it is much more fun!!!

Cheers :mug:

I think my efficiency was around 81% according to Beersmith2. Could someone help me with the formula and verify that.

Pre-boil OG and volume: 1.028 and 7.9 gals
Post-boil OG and volume: 1.038 and 5.5 gals

How much grain did you use? Efficiency is measured at percent of total theoretical extraction maximum. At any rate congrats on a good brew

How much grain did you use? Efficiency is measured at percent of total theoretical extraction maximum.

Doh... I knew that (bangs hand on head)... :drunk:

8 lbs total:

5 lbs pale malt
2 lbs Flaked Barley
1 lb Roasted Barley

Cheers!

I get 77.8% efficiency for that (using 1.035, 1.032, 1.025 for three ingredients, respectively ) very nice!

Latest posts

Back