How do I know when to harvest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mb82

Reaction score
How do i know when it is time to harvest? I have read when the hops feel papery but there has to be more then that to it. I have two first year cascade plants and some of the early flowers are already getting a little bit of a drier feel to the cones. It has been a hot summer in Central Va so could they be ready for a picking already?

I use the squeeze test. Take the cone and squeeze it. If if springs back to it's original size then it's probably ready. I usually get two harvests out of my plants and will be brewing my first wet hopped beer next weekend. So it's definitely a possibility. Just make sure the tips of the leaves are brown, the cones are dry, and the lupulin is dark yellow.

Here's a good post about how to determine dry matter % at harvest (also final moisture after drying). There's a lot of variables when trying to figure out the right time by sight and touch alone: [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfUYXu4-0-s&feature=plcp[/ame]

For first time growers, I like to say: "If you think that they're ready, it's still too soon".

As others mentioned, moisture content is the best way. However, on a young plant, with limited cones this can be difficult to test. They should be dry, smell like hops, starting to brown a bit, and almost seem like you left them on too long.

For first time growers, I like to say: "If you think that they're ready, it's still too soon".

As others mentioned, moisture content is the best way. However, on a young plant, with limited cones this can be difficult to test. They should be dry, smell like hops, starting to brown a bit, and almost seem like you left them on too long.

Yeah watching the video I was thinking that might be most of my harvest.

I figure it is too early but I was wondering what to be looking for. Right now they don't smell like anything. I will wait till I see some browning before I really start checking them.

Back