Should I re-pitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bung hole

Reaction score
I brewed an Imperial IPA that had an extremely healthy primary ferment - it blew the top off my ale pale. In my haste I forgot to get an OG reading. I recently racked into a conditioner and dry hopped. I took a hydrometer reading before racking and i beleive the specifif grav. was around the 1.01 range. Does anybody think I will have to re-pitch my yeast since this is going to be a big beer, or know how I could recalculate my OG if possible?

9lb Light LME
1lb 40L Crystal
1lb 20 L Crystal
2oz Challenger 60 min
1 oz Centennial 30 min
1 oz centennial 20 min
1 oz Simcoe 10 min
1 oz Simcoe 5 min
White Labs Burton Ale Yeast

I also brewed a hop tea that I added to wort in primary
2 oz Whole Chinook Hops steeped in 175 F H20 for 1 hour

Dry hopped with 2 oz challenger

If your gravity is 1.010, then it's done. Your OG was probably 1.050-1.060 or so. Beersmith say 75% efficiency w/ 5 gal volume would be 1.060.

Just plugged your LME and grains into Promash. If it was a 5 gallon batch, your OG should have been around 1.076. If your at 1.010 for your final, you got 86% attenuation. I'd say your done. Was this larger than 5 gallons? Did you make a starter? That is a very high attenuation.

I didn't use a starter - the yeast was going pretty strong when I added it (fizzed over when I opened the bottle) batch was around 5.5 gallons, fermentation at 70 F. Where can I get this Promash?

jdoiv said:
Just plugged your LME and grains into Promash. If it was a 5 gallon batch, your OG should have been around 1.076.

Are you sure you did that right? 1.076 seems way high for 11 lbs of grain.

The maximum pts for 5 gals, assuming 37&34 pts/lb/gal would be 80. 76 would mean 95% efficiency.

Lil' Sparky said:
Are you sure you did that right? 1.076 seems way high for 11 lbs of grain.

The maximum pts for 5 gals, assuming 37&34 pts/lb/gal would be 80. 76 would mean 95% efficiency.

I'm I sure I did it right? No, not really. I don't use LME very often but I think the program figures 100% efficiency with it if the volume is right. He may have not gotten much out of the specialty grains if he didn't steep them very long, or at the right temp.

Lil' Sparky said:
Not worth diddly if you can't use it right, though. ;)

I personally dig Beer Smith. www.beersmith.com

Just plugged the recipe into beersmith and got 1.075. It also estimates the FG should have stopped at 1.020. I think I did it right enough.

stupid.gif
DOH!!! I'm an idiot. I read that first line wrong. I thought it was 9 lbs of base malt, not LME.

Excuse me, I need to go find some crow now.

Lil' Sparky said:
stupid.gif
DOH!!! I'm an idiot. I read that first line wrong. I thought it was 9 lbs of base malt, not LME.

Excuse me, I need to go find some crow now.

No crow necessary. RDWHAHB :mug:

Back