Saison Cottage House Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What does everyone suggest for the CaraMunich? There are 3 different ones on NB.

Caramunich I, II, and III.

Also my software is putting the grain bill at 1.081 OG. To reduce should I cut the grain or cut the honey?

I always just went for the middle one when I would buy it. But for a saison, id want the lightest one. To reduce the OG, its really your choice. Cutting the honey down will make it have more body, cutting the grain will make it more dry. I like my saisons as dry as I can get them so Id go that route

I've never done FWH with Beersmith before so maybe I'm missing something on the way it calculates the IBU's. Plugging the #'s into BS my IBU's are coming up 44.6 as opposed to the 36.3 listed in the original recipe.
I have the same units plugged in as the original. What am I missing here? I can't seem to find anything in BS throwing this off.

I've never done FWH with Beersmith before so maybe I'm missing something on the way it calculates the IBU's. Plugging the #'s into BS my IBU's are coming up 44.6 as opposed to the 36.3 listed in the original recipe.
I have the same units plugged in as the original. What am I missing here? I can't seem to find anything in BS throwing this off.

Have you adjusted for the difference in the alpha acid % of your hops?

Have you adjusted for the difference in the alpha acid % of your hops?
That's just it. I'm using the op's listed alphas just for reference and trying to figure why the difference or what %BS is using to adjust. Once i figure that out, I'll plug in my own alpha's.

That's just it. I'm using the op's listed alphas just for reference and trying to figure why the difference or what %BS is using to adjust. Once i figure that out, I'll plug in my own alpha's.

Different measurement method, I can see what formula the software uses, I used to use different brewing software.

Different measurement method, I can see what formula the software uses, I used to use different brewing software.
Hey thanks. I've read tons on how BS calculates fwh additions, but never having done it myself, i'm not real sure how to proceed. My understanding is they do add bittering units, but to a much more mellow degree.

Well I accidentally oxygenated the crap out of this one while trying to pressure transfer to the keg with a carboy cap for the first time.

Before I transferred it I bottled up three bottles for a competition and one extra one so I could test the carbonation level and to make matters worse (for me anyways) the extra one I bottled tasted absolutely amazing, nothing like the oxygenated mess that's in my keg now. I'll just have to make this one again I guess!

I just read every post on this thread. Looks like I know what my next brew will be! I'll have to pick up something to keep it warm but that should be a non-issue. LHBS is closed tomorrow so I'll brew it over the weekend!

I just read every post on this thread. Looks like I know what my next brew will be! I'll have to pick up something to keep it warm but that should be a non-issue. LHBS is closed tomorrow so I'll brew it over the weekend!

I wear a kilt when I brew, even in sub zero temps, the burner will keep you warm enough!

Hey thanks. I've read tons on how BS calculates fwh additions, but never having done it myself, i'm not real sure how to proceed. My understanding is they do add bittering units, but to a much more mellow degree.

I still need to go through my notes and see if the recipe is based on rager or tinseth hop formulas, this will go a long way towards calculating your adjustments.

I've been so busy that I honestly forgot to check on it for you. Sorry!

I still need to go through my notes and see if the recipe is based on rager or tinseth hop formulas, this will go a long way towards calculating your adjustments.

I've been so busy that I honestly forgot to check on it for you. Sorry!

Much thanks and no worries.

As I was running this recipe thru Beersmith and Brewersfriend, I happened to be drinking a saison from funkwerks. Poked a round a bit and found they use the 3711 strain (no other yeast for bottling). So I figured why not? and am harvesting the yeasties from the bottles I had. Really taking off! Really looking forward to brewing this one up!

This is the first Saison i have ever brewed. Had to sub irish base malt because thats all the store had. 1.065 to start and finshed at 1.005. First week was at 65 then slowly ramped up to 85 over the next two weeks. This is also the first beer i have kegged. Pressure at 15 psi for one week at 39 deg and 7 1/2 feet of hose. Nailed it!

This is by far the BEST beer i have made to date!!! Great recipie and thanks for sharing OP!!! Cheers!

View attachment 1452480597776.jpg

This is the first Saison i have ever brewed. Had to sub irish base malt because thats all the store had. 1.065 to start and finshed at 1.005. First week was at 65 then slowly ramped up to 85 over the next two weeks. This is also the first beer i have kegged. Pressure at 15 psi for one week at 39 deg and 7 1/2 feet of hose. Nailed it!

This is by far the BEST beer i have made to date!!! Great recipie and thanks for sharing OP!!! Cheers!

That looks fantastic! I can almost taste it!!!

The carbonation will get creamier in the coming weeks, merengue like

Brewed this 2 weeks ago, sitting at 68 in my fridge atm... not sure what I want to do with it now, but it smells amazing in there.

Wondering if it'll need an extra 2 weeks or not... trying to keep the office kegerator full.

We drained 10 gallons of this in the course of 2 months. We were all in agreement we liked it best green, but it's awesome either way. This is going to become our "house beer" it was so loved and drinkable in any situation.

Brewed this 2 weeks ago, sitting at 68 in my fridge atm... not sure what I want to do with it now, but it smells amazing in there.

Wondering if it'll need an extra 2 weeks or not... trying to keep the office kegerator full.

The two times I brewed this, it sat in the primary for no more than 10 days then I kegged it. Best two beers I ever made!! So, bottle/keg it and in a week you'll be enjoying a phenomenal beer! Cheers..

I brewed this on 01/15/2016. Started out in the kitchen and mashed in at 149F (BIAB in cooler mash tun). Added some boiling water every time I mixed to maintain temps and ended at 147F after an hour long mash. Quick batch sparge with 3 gal of 168F water and collected 7.5 - 8 gallons of wort. I put my boil kettle on the burner and went inside to get the lighter.. it started to rain (at 40F). I stood there with an umbrella for a vigorous hour long boil, got soaked but saved the beer. I was absolutely miserable and probably was way off on hop addition timing. I ended up collecting 6.5 gallons of wort into my fermenter at 1.048 (without honey). I was aiming for a higher boil off and slightly longer boil so I didn't get down to 6 gallons but otherwise it was exactly as expected.

It's been fermenting for 3 days at 70-72F ambient. I plan on adding honey directly to primary. No problems with that, correct?

Still deciding on whether to keg or bottle. Does anyone have opinions? I may do both but we'll see.

Pictures:
Kettle on electric stove for strike water
Mash start
Mash end
24 hours in carboy (don't mind the caption, it looks beautiful :D)

View attachment 1453166312413.jpg

View attachment 1453166351445.jpg

View attachment 1453166366795.jpg

View attachment 1453166390114.jpg

I brewed this on 01/15/2016. Started out in the kitchen and mashed in at 149F (BIAB in cooler mash tun). Added some boiling water every time I mixed to maintain temps and ended at 147F after an hour long mash. Quick batch sparge with 3 gal of 168F water and collected 7.5 - 8 gallons of wort. I put my boil kettle on the burner and went inside to get the lighter.. it started to rain (at 40F). I stood there with an umbrella for a vigorous hour long boil, got soaked but saved the beer. I was absolutely miserable and probably was way off on hop addition timing. I ended up collecting 6.5 gallons of wort into my fermenter at 1.048 (without honey). I was aiming for a higher boil off and slightly longer boil so I didn't get down to 6 gallons but otherwise it was exactly as expected.

It's been fermenting for 3 days at 70-72F ambient. I plan on adding honey directly to primary. No problems with that, correct?

Still deciding on whether to keg or bottle. Does anyone have opinions? I may do both but we'll see.

Pictures:
Kettle on electric stove for strike water
Mash start
Mash end
24 hours in carboy (don't mind the caption, it looks beautiful :D)

Throw the honey straight in. No problem there. I only bottle so you know I'm going to tell you to keg it.

Other than that, I'd ramp the temp up after four or five days. Saison yeasts love heat.

Throw the honey straight in. No problem there. I only bottle so you know I'm going to tell you to keg it.

Other than that, I'd ramp the temp up after four or five days. Saison yeasts love heat.

That's the plan. I need to go get an aquarium heater to get much warmer so that's on my list for the week. I used 3711 so I shouldn't have problems attenuating.

I may still end up bottling some. As much as I love kegging, I have a feeling I will want to show this one off.

ive stopped kegging my saisons. I used to keg about half of them, but they really got stale after months of aging, whereas the bottle conditioned ones with yeast in the bottom are great

ive stopped kegging my saisons. I used to keg about half of them, but they really got stale after months of aging, whereas the bottle conditioned ones with yeast in the bottom are great

How long do you keep these around? I wasn't planning on more than 2 months.

the bottle conditioned saisons? I dunno, until i drink them all I guess. I always save a 6pack or two of each batch I make and tuck it away in my laundry room. I think right now, I still have 4 bottles left of a cucumber mint saison I made +18 months ago. Doesnt taste too stale

3711 is such a beast.

Fermenting from 65-72 degrees (started colder, then warmed), my first batch with went down to .997. I had to double check my hydrometer.

The second batch from the reused yeast is at 1.002 after 9 days.

3711 is such a beast.

Fermenting from 65-72 degrees (started colder, then warmed), my first batch with went down to .997. I had to double check my hydrometer.

The second batch from the reused yeast is at 1.002 after 9 days.

I'm jealous of that, for some reason mine stopped at 1.010. Everything was normal in the process, not sure why... oh well, still tastes good.

It's probably been discussed somewhere in here, but the last batch of this I brewed, I followed Denny's suggestion to ferment 3711 @ 62 degrees and it turned out completely differently. My current batch is chugging along at 75 degrees.

It's probably been discussed somewhere in here, but the last batch of this I brewed, I followed Denny's suggestion to ferment 3711 @ 62 degrees and it turned out completely differently. My current batch is chugging along at 75 degrees.

Could you describe the outcome of the 62* batch? :mug:

Brewed this last weekend and forgot to add the honey :eek:
Target was 1.061 but still got 5 gallons at 1.060.
If I had added the honey it would been about 1.068.
Looks like double crushing my malt has increased my efficiency by more than 10% :mug:

Anyway I'll add the honey on the weekend and let it ferment another 2 weeks after that.

Brewed this last weekend and forgot to add the honey :eek:
Target was 1.061 but still got 5 gallons at 1.060.
If I had added the honey it would been about 1.068.
Looks like double crushing my malt has increased my efficiency by more than 10% :mug:

Anyway I'll add the honey on the weekend and let it ferment another 2 weeks after that.

Just realised I forgot the 1.5 tsp of pepper too :smack:
Will that make much difference?

As I still have to add the honey anyway I was thinking of boiling it with some water and adding the pepper for 5 mins and then adding it all.

Would it be better to use less pepper than if I added it from the start because I'm sure a lot of the aroma would normally be lost with the CO2?
Grains of paradise would also be an option - anyone try these yes?

I used Bell Saison BTW and subbed the Sorchi Ace with Falconer's Flight.

At 62 degrees, 3711 ferments out almost like a hefeweizen, not quite as banana and clove-y, but very different from the spicy phenols at 75 +.

So I tested it today and after a week it is gone down from 1.060 to 1.003 with little to no activity in the air lock.
I added the honey and pepper and within 5 mins it was going crazy again :D
Next weekend I already plan to fill ca. 100 bottles so I'll bottle this one in two weeks. :tank:

I kept the carboy by a warm vent and covered it with a box to minimize temperature swings. Temps were in the upper 70s. I ended up kegging at 2.5 weeks because it had been sitting at 1.000 since day 4 (6 after honey fermented out). Keged and carbed to 3 volumes and poured a taster. It's still green but has a nice mouthfeel for such a dry beer! I get a little black pepper but will definitely ferment warmer next time around (start at 67 and ramp to 80 within a few days). Also, I could see this going really well with rosemary, sage, or thyme. Has anyone tried to dry herbing this Saison with any of those?

View attachment 1454838111520.jpg

View attachment 1454838125328.jpg

View attachment 1454838139287.jpg

I did make a new thread about this but it only has one vie so I'll ask this here (cliff notes version). I fermented at 83 degrees with 3724 for like 8 weeks and it finally cleared up so I turned off the heat. I waited a couple weeks and just checked the gravity and its attachments 1.009. Is it likely done and I can go ahead and bottle? Or should I turn the heat back on to like 90? IF I turned the heat on to a beer that possibly already finished fermenting, am I going to get an off flavor?

I did make a new thread about this but it only has one vie so I'll ask this here (cliff notes version). I fermented at 83 degrees with 3724 for like 8 weeks and it finally cleared up so I turned off the heat. I waited a couple weeks and just checked the gravity and its attachments 1.009. Is it likely done and I can go ahead and bottle? Or should I turn the heat back on to like 90? IF I turned the heat on to a beer that possibly already finished fermenting, am I going to get an off flavor?

1.009 seems pretty high for this beer. What temp did you mash at? I would turn it up to 90+ until you're sure it's finished. You shouldn't have off flavors with 3794 at 90F. If it's not moving in a few days, you might be done and should be safe to bottle. Your alternative is to pitch a different yeast (3711?) and try to lower the fg a bit before bottling.

Back