straining before botteling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hough77

Reaction score
I have an Amber Ale in a glass carboy right now, I may be botteling next weekend. There is still some crushed grains floating around in there and I did not strain when I went from kettle to primary. What can I do to make this beer as clean as possible going into the botteling bucket? With out ruining the beer.

I made an amber ale just a month ago for my first batch. I didn't have any grains in my primary though. Did you use a muslin bag when you were steeping the grains? My amber was an extract kit.

Yeah it was an extract kit, but I may have over crushed the grains, and that muslin bag that came w/ the kit let some through into the Wort. I don't want it in my bottles. And I bought a better muslin bag now.

Put a muslin bag over the end of your siphon. That is, strain it at the pick-up rather than passing in through s strainer at the bottling end.

frazier said:
Put a muslin bag over the end of your siphon. That is, strain it at the pick-up rather than passing in through s strainer at the bottling end.

+1 I find that a very fine mesh bag (like what you'd use for hops) works best.

Thanx guys, the muslin bag at the end of the siphon sounds like a good idea!

Now after reading another thread, will straining not let the yeast in and cause a problem with priming?

Back