Brew Hut Raising Weekend - 4/25

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
how the heck did this go from us drooling over Ed's International Haus of Foam, to a debate on the superiority of various saws and the use of fences and guards for said saws? :cross::ban:

I love when testosterone is flying through the air!!! :rockin:

John

Once we get some more pics, I think we'll get right back on track.

OK,

Here's an old pic.

cuttingforthefront.jpg

I'm off to San Diego this weekend to move my daughter out of the dorm at SDSU (the now famous Drug Bust School). I'll be enjoying some beers with Germey.

It's been delivered and waiting for me. Thanks! Soon you will see the little guy using it when I get back in town. Thanks!!!

nice. not jealous. If I was closer I would have pitched my tent beside it and broken out the power tools. nice. hat off to you.

I'm off to San Diego this weekend to move my daughter out of the dorm at SDSU (the now famous Drug Bust School). I'll be enjoying some beers with Germey.

SDSU, holy cow. I hope she is the studious type. I've spent quite a bit of time in SD, that's no place to try to study! Y'all need some willpower. How was her year?

SDSU, holy cow. I hope she is the studious type. I've spent quite a bit of time in SD, that's no place to try to study! Y'all need some willpower. How was her year?

She finished the year as a Scholar Athlete. She's on a athletic scholarship, so she has to maintain her grades and her scholarship. No time for that other crap.

Her boat kicked butt in the San Diego Crew Classic. Here's a video one of the parents did.

[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=mfm2KW3TdNY[/ame]

hmmph. First no updates on the red thread, and no updates on this one. I am starting to be annoyed by the lack of constant free entertainment by random strangers on the internet.

Wow..... First time in this thread for me and I caught up on all 34 pages.

Me = Beer Haus Envy.

Great freakin' work, Ed!!!!!

Long weekend coming up... Can we look forward to updates? Can't wait to see how the inside of your Fortress of Drinkitude shapes up...

There will be pics from this weekend. Soffit and Trim work and hopefully finishing the roof. I would love to get the exterior finished and ready for paint this weekend. That's the goal. Oh yeah, plus brew 15 gallons of Dude's Lake Walk brew.

Got my Simcoe, Amarillo, & Centennial lined up and just toasted some fresh 2-row Pale. Oh Yeah!

What a day. First, up at 6 for my son's swim meet which I left SWMBO at so I could meet my neighbor back at the ranch at 8:30. We did soffit work today.

bhb40.jpg

It is hot today, mid 90s and loads of humidity.

bhb41.jpg

My new Bosch 4000 table saw is the bomb! This puppy made short work of cutting 4'x'8' sheets of 1/4" for the soffit. We needed 13 inch wide sheets, and it was great just running them through. I love it. It fold up pretty small and is handy to move around on the job site. One of the best buys I've found at Costco for $379. The puppy costs $500 everywhere else.

bhb42.jpg

Here we had to tack a 2x4 on the end of the rafters, then a 1x6 followed by a 2x2 on the brewhaus wall. This gave us something to which to nail the soffit.

bhb43.jpg

A Shot of the other side. Working around this tree is getting to be a royal PIA, but we are going to try to save it. If it continues to give us problems, it will be a coin toss to keep it and Husqvarna is tossing the coin.

bhb44.jpg

You can see the work we have to do. We're still thinking on how to finish this part. Any ideas, please speak up.

bhb45.jpg

We got the 1x6 facia on the back and then I ran out of 1x6 wood. I forgot to calculate the extra roof on the original plans. Off to Home Depot tonight.

This is as far as we got today in about 5 hours. It's hot and time for a beer.

Tomorrow is brew day and Yuri_Rage is coming up to the ranch for some brew time. We may get some work done after a 15 gallon batch of Dude's LWPA.

Beautiful! Of course, as much as I understand you want that tree, it really is too close.

:mug:

I know. SWMBO ain't gonna be happy if it goes, so we are trying to work around it. You should see my deck out back. It's built around trees.

We had a huge storm last week, 70 mile an hour winds & hail. A dead tree in the one of the horse paddocks blew down (I get to get husky out now) but the Brewhaus was solid. Nothing budged including that Live Oak tree.

I know. SWMBO ain't gonna be happy if it goes, so we are trying to work around it. You should see my deck out back. It's built around trees.

That's hilarious. I follow a similar philosophy. No matter how ridiculous it may be I'll do it because if it turns out to be wrong, at least it's not MY fault and I won't have to listen to it. I'd rather do the job a second time the right way than to listen to the incessant complaining.

Of course it doesn't hurt that she's usually right when it comes to matters of aesthetics. Far more often than I am.

for the tree problem. z-bar the t-111 seam, block and side up to roofing ply, flash if desired, get some i dont know how wide it is 1x12 facia and nail it over the siding up to roofing ply then drip edge flashing on top and make your shingles hang over the edge like 1 inch. seems good to me. i am a carpenter in california so sorry if the terms are different.

for the tree problem. z-bar the t-111 seam, block and side up to roofing ply, flash if desired, get some i dont know how wide it is 1x12 facia and nail it over the siding up to roofing ply then drip edge flashing on top and make your shingles hang over the edge like 1 inch. seems good to me. i am a carpenter in california so sorry if the terms are different.

Oh just cut the damn thing down!!!:D

for the tree problem. z-bar the t-111 block and side up to roofing ply, flash if desired, get some i dont know how wide it is 1x12 facia and nail it over the siding up to roofing ply then drip edge flashing on top and make your shingles hang over the edge like 1 inch. seems good to me. i am a carpenter in california so sorry if the terms are different.

Uh, I'm Techie Geek Brewer from Bee Cave, TX.

What's a z-bar and 1-111 block? Thanks for the suggestions!

z bar is the 5/8 z shaped flashing in picture#6, T-111 is your primered siding and block where you need backing to nail to. hope this helps

z bar is the 5/8 z shaped flashing in picture#6, T-111 is your primered siding and block where you need backing to nail to. hope this helps

Ah, OK. I was thinking about having to put more flashing before we put the smart panel up to the roof. Thanks for translating. :mug:

Are you going to throw some vents in those soffits to allow for better ventialtion of your rafters? It will keep that upper area a lot cooler and allow your ridge vent to work.

Is it wrong to get excited to see new pictures and updates?

Are you going to throw some vents in those soffits to allow for better ventialtion of your rafters? It will keep that upper area a lot cooler and allow your ridge vent to work.

I was, but it concerned me about blowing insulation clogging them, so I'm going with an under shingle roof vent called The Edge.

intake-theedge-xlg.jpg

EdWort, I hope you are out working on the Brew Hut and not here at HBT wasting time! We need to see more progress! ;)

I've been up since 6 this morning as I have tree work to do before SWMBO gets back from her trail ride. It started raining as soon as she left at 7.

I went to Home Depot for some more wood and picked up a new 12" dual compound miter saw so I can return my neighbors. Now it is not raining, so I have to break out the Husqvarna and cut some wood.

I'll be doing some trim work around the window and door today trying out my new saw.

Update: 12:10 PM

The Ol' Husky made short work of those trees. Man is it hot & humid today.

Trees1.jpg

Trees2.jpg

My 13 year old son gets the task of stacking logs and moving the brush to the fire pile.

Now to cool off and rehydrate before working on some trim.

Thanks. I hurt my knee by slipping on one of those logs as it rolled out from under me. Ouch. Heading to an orthor today or tomorrow.

Sorry to hear about the injury and hope the doctor brings good news, but the hut is looking great.

You've probably considered this, but is there any way to use some cable and stakes to hold that one tree branch away from the hut and eventually "train" it away permanently?

Back