upright freezer fermentation chamber. No defrost... what to use for heat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Komocabo

Reaction score
$50 upright freezer on CL. STC-1000 from eBay, a few odds and ends.. BAM! Fermentation chamber.

However, the coils went through each of the shelves, so I had to CAREFULLY bend one layer of coils back so I could build a shelf and get a few fermenters in there. Quickly found that I am fluctuating from about 17.9-18.9°C. The STC-1000 is set to 18.5 with a .3 variance. Not too bad, but not quite as controllable as I would like.

I guess this is not a frost free one as there is a bit of condensation from when it's on. So, I realize I need some form of heat source to kick on so I can maintain better temp stability. Since there is condensation, I am hesitant to do the paint can heater... or anything else really that involves electricity as Water + Electricity. = House Fire...

So to the question: What can I SAFELY use to add heat when needed? Or, just RDWHAHB and let it fluctuate a ~1°C throughout the day?

Forgot pics :mug:

ForumRunner_20130709_201448.jpg

ForumRunner_20130709_201459.jpg

ForumRunner_20130709_201509.jpg

ForumRunner_20130709_201522.jpg

I have a similar set up and us a small cinder block with a light bulb placed inside it. Works great.

Can you post a picture please? Thanks for the response

Here you go. I sit the block on a piece of reflectix foil. The bulb is 60 watts. It is plugged into my temperature controller.
20130709_220224.jpg

20130709_220238.jpg

Any fermentation chamber is going to have condensation, there's no way around it. There's been a few other threads talking about it and i know some people invested in these...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000H0XFCS/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Its on my wishlist and i plan on picking one up before my next brew. I know some people get the cans of the silicate stuff and put them in their as well to help absorb the moisture.

This is what i use for heat and it works well but the paint can idea is a bit cheaper.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003XDTWN2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an upright freezer similar to this one, and for heat I use that same lasko heater. It works fantastic. Nearly instant heat, no fire hazards, and doesn't draw much power

By the way, I have an STC 1000 that powers two outlets. The cooling outlet has the jumper tab broken off, the heating outlet keeps the jumper tab. The reason I did that was because one side of the cooling outlet is hot at all times to power my stir plate. On the heating side I decided to keep the tab. The other side of the heating outlet powers a computer fan to help circulate the hot air. Works great for me

Very clever wiring! Thanks for the links. I'm leaning towards the Lasko so I don't have to worry about wiring a lighting rig, though both options seems to be cheap, and effective methods.

Back