Wyeast Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewzofo1

Reaction score
My 6th time brewing. My 3rd all grain. My first time using Wyeast (California Ale x 2 packs). It says to snap the pak. Which I did. But when I went to pitch the yeast (Wyeast) one of the packs did not open (in both packs). So went ahead and cut open the unopened one and threw inside carboy and shook it some more. How bad did I mess up? OG was at 1.052. Should be between 54-57.

Are you saying there were two nutrient packets in each smack pack? I've heard of this happening, but never seen it myself. Then again, I don't look after I pitch.

Wyeast says it's not necessary to break open the nutrient pack before pitching. It's helpful (gets the yeast going ahead of time), but since you should be making a starter with liquid yeast anyway (although for this beer, two packs is a good pitching rate without a starter according to Mr. Malty, assuming they were fresh that is, if they were older you would have been better with a starter), it doesn't matter.

Point is you would have been fine leaving them alone. As long as you followed proper sanitation cutting open the nutrient packs, you'll still be fine.

Back