Nylon bags & elements

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tubba

Reaction score
I've got a 2200w element in my "boiling bucket". I'm going to put another one in.

I brew with BIAB, and during the test run, the element weakened the bag to the point of rupturing, spilling a small amount of grain which burned into the element.

I've got to prevent this somehow, like, by putting a cage or even a false bottom in there. How much space does the nylon bag need from the element to be safe?

It just seems that it can't touch it. Since the wort is going to boil at 212, and given space between the nylon and the 1000* element is going to be 212.

I use a nylon paint strainer bag for hops and it rests agains my 5500W element every brew without an issue. My element is an ultra-low-wattage-density element, the ripple type (ULWD).

So, the problem must be 1) your bag somehow differs from mine, 2) your element is hotter than mine, 3) the fact that your bag contains grain is somehow making a difference.

I would certainly venture to guess that his element has a higher wattage density.

It's a kettle element, so yeah, it's pretty dense.

I was probably stressing the bag to the max. I had about 15lbs of grain in it, for one. Maybe there was a weak seam or something that burst?

But either case, I'll just build a small wire cage of some sort around the element then. Thanks.

Back