Cider Question....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SantaClaus

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm hoping someone give me some pointers with my cider. I made a batch about 3 weeks ago following I recipe, I believe I found on these boards. Can't seem to track it down however...

It was 5 gallons of pasteurized cider, 2 or 3 different types. I added about 20oz of honey, a couple cinnamon sticks and some nutmeg. Pitched some dry (I believe Red Star) Champagne yeast and let it go. It fermented like crazy for the first couple weeks and has since slowed, and really clarified.

Now I'm looking to keg or bottle. However, upon sampling it, I have an extremely tart and dry cider. It's not bad, but it's not for everyone. This was cider I was to serve with Thanksgiving and I'm certain the tartness will turn the masses off. I tossed about a tsp of brown sugar into one of my glasses to cut the tartness and found it greatly improved the flavor. I would like sweeten the whole batch.

So here's my question: Is it too late to add sugar to this batch? Doing so at this stage will likely restart some of the fermentation, yes? Would I be better off using a brown sugar as a priming agent for bottling, or could I add it and still keg?

Pardon my naivety - this is my first endeavor in the world of hard cider making.

Thanks

Thanks

I suppose if I sweeten it, keg it and put the keg in the fridge that would halt the fermentation. Makes sense, should have thought of that.

So apple juice concentrate... I'll give it a go

Thanks again

Back