Dry Hopping Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILOVEBEER

Reaction score
Hello,

I brewed an orange APA yesterday and the recipe calls for a dryhop in the secondary. I use cornies as a secondary....after that time period is over I go straight to force carbonation and drinking. The hops would go directly into the cornies.....my question:

After the 10 or so days is up and the secondary is complete.....do the hops get removed (I will be using a bag and tossing it directly into the corney) before drinking?

If not how long can the hop bag stay in the corney without giving my beer off flavors?

I have never done this so any help would be appreciated....

Thanks
Joe

Some people reomve them some people leave them in. It won't give your beer off flavors for a very long time but they will continue to change the flavor.

Up to you how you want to handle it

I have tried leaving them in, and after a month I start getting vegetable flavors...

Now it could have been my variety of hops, FG of the beer, etc.

BYO had an article on Stone, and they dry hop for no more than 10 days at warmer (not refrigerated) temps. I leave them in a keg for 7-10 days, then purge another keg w/CO2 and transfer to another keg.

Just another opinion...

You know that is a better option...I realy didnt want to open the top and sanitarily fish for the hop bag.....I assume I am able to fluid transfer between corney kegs with a jumper?

On that note, do I hook up the C02 at say like 5 psi, hook up a jumper line from the hopped keg to the new drinking keg...turn on the C02 and start filling the other keg?

Do I have to occasionally bleed off some of the C02 in the empty keg as it is filling?

The "out" is where I hook up on the hopped keg....to what port on the empty keg?

Any other tips on fluid transferring?

Thank you
Joe

Yes... two liquid ball-lock connectors with a tube in-between. Hook-up "out" to "out", gas to the dry-hopped, full keg. Purge and vent the empty keg to limit beer contact with air.

Bleed pressure as you go.

Pretty straight-forward. Just be sure it's connected with the right connectors, out side only.

Sounds good....so just to make sure-full hopped keg has the connectors hooked accordingly (grey/gas...black/liquid) that black goes to a hose and the other end a black ball lock to the "out" connector...then fill and purge.

Sound correct?

BTW what pressure should I fluid transfer @....5ish sound good?

Thanks for the help
Joe

Yes on both counts...

Bleed the pressure in the keg being filled, and when it reaches the end, release the pressure in both kegs, and place the filled keg back to be carb'd.

Back