Converting PA Recpie to IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tspilker

Reaction score
I was going to brew a batch of Haus Pale Ale using the mini mash method, but I want to alter the recipe.

I have this on hand, what can I add to it to make a hoppy, yet balanced IPA (or double IPA would be more prefered)

5# Light DME
2# Vienna Malt
8oz crystal 10L
2 oz Cascade malt
packet nottingham

Thanks

I have three versions of the fairly hoppy Firestone-Walker Pale Ale in that thread.

My most recent take was the last post in thread ten minutes ago. The short version is use nobles (Golding, Fuggles, Saaz or Tett) at 60 and 30, then use a USA high alpha hop for the (15) and (5), HBU for HBU.

Hoppy enough to go with Ethiopian or Indian food, quaffable alone. Nice balance.

EDIT: style correct IPAs are brewed to higher alcohol and feature higher hops than standard pale ales, just FWIW.

I was hoping to up the grain bill to increase fermentables and unfermentables. Alcohol is a given. I was hoping to use what I have as a base, and increase it.

I kind of want to stick to centennial, cascade and chinook hops since I am most familiar with those three.

Maybe a variation of http://www.brew365.com/beer_two_hearted.php

Latest posts

Back