Extract Stout Recipe Check

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonneville

Reaction score
Any suggestions? Hope to brew this tomorrow. I've never brewed a stout and have never used Carapils. Is the Carapils amount correct? Is this just steeped along with other grains?

Grains
0.75 lb Roasted Barley
0.25 lb Black Barley
0.50 lb Crystal 80L
0.50 lb Carapils

Extract
6 lb Pale LME

Hops
1oz Nugget 13% 60min
1oz Fuggle 4.8% 15 min

Yeast
Wyeast 1084 - Irish Ale

This will probably end up in a keg on CO2 tap. Look good?

Did I post this in the wrong forum?

Any comments? Again, it's my first stout and first use of carapils/carafoam. Is this just steeped with other grains?

Looks good. I just did my first stout after 25 batches(I like hops) and it came out great! Lot's of people start with stouts. I think that the roasted barley covers up some mistakes. I see that you want to mix with a pale. With this in mind you may want to add a tiny bit more sweetness. I'll recommend a bit of chocolate malt. Half ounce?

I ended up brewing per original recipe as I didn't see any feedback in time. I used a bit too much Black as I over-poured the grains at the LHBS.

I have a very chocolate porter in process, so I decided to stay away from that on this go around. Basically, just roasted barley... so can't be too bad.

I noticed that in the Complete Joy of Homebrewing, it says that Carapils needs to be mashed. I simply steeped. Browsing the forums, there seems to be some debate. So, we'll see how the body and head are in a few weeks.

Thanks.

Back