Blow off obsesion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dickproenneke

Reaction score
confession: I am absolutely obsessed with watching my blowoff tube. I just cant get enough of that foam as it chug chug chugs its way down the line. The gurgling noises and violent rumbles remind me of a summer thunderstorm. I even made the tube extra long and twisty to prolong the pleasure. I feel like a proud poppa watching his son catch his first fish. is this normal?

Don't worry,you're not alone. I have my fermenter stand to the right of my comp hutch. So I can listen to the rumblings from the blow off,& get a whiff at the same time.:ban:

Yeah, I don't think I could switch to buckets from carboys just because I love watching the action.

Yeah, I don't think I could switch to buckets from carboys just because I love watching the action.

The opposite is true for new brewers though. Do you know how many times I have been worried about this or that in my ferment? None. No "Is this infected?" or "should I dump it?" questions from me because I have no idea whats actually going on there. I simply throw in ingredients and pull out deliciousness several weeks later.

I do use a bucket with a 1/2" tube through the grommet'd hole and it's still pretty f'n thrilling to watch the foam emerge from a dark bucket. Can't wait to upgrade to a carboy to take my peeping to a whole new level :D

Good point uniondr. I just might stick with the plastic for a while. It's very easy to clean and I can nest buckets when they're not in use. And being a noob, I could just see myself getting worked up into a tizzy every time something didn't "look right" in the carboy. Out of sight/out of mind.

It is kind of hypnotizing. I have a 6ft blowoff hose as well and love watching it make its way from the carboy to my growler of sanitizer. Watching the airlock in the later days is cool too, sometimes I count the seconds between bubbles like they're contractions or something haha

Yeah,I pretty much know what fermentation looks like,having made wine since I was a teen to about 30. Beer fermenting looks about the same. Put it together,& let the yeasties do their thing. I check in on them in 2 weeks.

It is kind of hypnotizing. I have a 6ft blowoff hose as well and love watching it make its way from the carboy to my growler of sanitizer. Watching the airlock in the later days is cool too, sometimes I count the seconds between bubbles like they're contractions or something haha

Haha! I am soooo happy to hear that others are doing the same thing. Yippee! I'm not the only blowoff-gazing, airlock-sniffing whacko out there :ban:

I don't do much watching, but I smell the airlock every chance I get :). Nice to know we aren't so different after all.

I'm so pathetic I have the carboy and blowoff where I can listen to the burp sound while I'm working during the day, since I work at home.

It's really going to suck when I change over to buckets.

But I'm still going to change to buckets first chance I get.

Back