Wyeast 2112

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chulsky

Reaction score
I have a question as to how I go about controlling my fermentation process with this yeast. I have a lager in the secondary right now and it is sitting at a constant 63*F. The temperature range for the yeast is 58* - 68*F so I just split the difference. My question is should I just let it remain there for its duration in the secondary or should I somehow adjust the temperature. Should I take it to the low end of it range over the course of a couple of days or should I cold crash it. Just looking for some guidance.

thanks in advance.

Haven't used this yeast or made a steam beer before, however, it is my understanding that you won't want to lower your temp towards the end of any fermentation. If you don't keep it at the same temp, you'd want to raise it a bit. This will allow the yeast to remain active and clean up after itself.

Just reread and it says its in the secondary, so is it already finished fermenting? If so I wouldn't worry about it. Cooling it can help the yeast settle out.

Typically you would wait for fermentation to nearly complete and then raise the temp 3-5F for a diacetyl rest(if needed). After the diacetyl rest you would transfer to secondary and lower the temp. This is done(the temp drop) to clear up the beer and let any "bad" stuff drop out of the beer. For 2112 I don't find this necessary, but if you want to I would drop the temperature to the mid 30s and let it lager for a few weeks. When I use 2112 I don't even use a secondary and usually bottle after 3-4 weeks. I ferment at 60F and then raise to 65F for diacetyl rest. Then drop it back down to 58F for a week or two, or whenever I have time to bottle.

Back