Old Pack of Wyeast Berliner Weisse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metic

Reaction score
I just picked up a very old packet of Wyeast 3191-PC Berliner-Weisse Blend at a discount from my LHBS. The date on the pack is Septermber 2012, so at this point it's almost 9 months old. I'm wondering about the best way to grow it up. If this was a pure yeast strain, I'd make a small starter to see if I got any kind of activity, then step it up. But since this is a mix of yeast, lactobacillus, and brett, I'd like to grow it up in a way that keeps whatever bugs there are left alive.

So how should I grow this up? I could make a starter on my stirplate, but I'm worried that would favour the yeast over the lacto, and the numbers of the latter would be too small by the time I pitched.

I could also make a starter from some apple juice, not on a stirplate, which might favour the lacto?

Or I could split the pack into two starter, one with dme and one with apple juice, then pitch both when I brew.

Anyone have any experience or advice on growing up old blends like this?

Back