Year Aged Blackberry Melomel project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hooksie

Reaction score
Next academic year, I will be traveling abroad to Germany for around 10 months. I intend to make a mead to age during my time away.

I'm not sure if I'm doing this right, but using GotMead's calculator to get around a 14% mead, I need about 14-15 lbs of honey, and then I'll secondary onto 3 lbs of pureed blackberry.

I intend to get honey from a local beekeeper, who has two varieties: a sweet "spring" and a stronger-flavored spicy "summer" honey, of which I intend to use 50/50.

I'm considering using Safale s-04, Wyeast 4783 Rudesheimer Yeast, Wyeast 4184 Sweet Mead, or White Labs WLP720. I'm aiming to get a semi-sweet mead. I would really love some yeast suggestions.

I'm hoping to be able to bottle this in 4 months, to let it then condition for a year. Am I being too optimistic?

:mug:

Next academic year, I will be traveling abroad to Germany for around 10 months. I intend to make a mead to age during my time away.

I'm not sure if I'm doing this right, but using GotMead's calculator to get around a 14% mead, I need about 14-15 lbs of honey, and then I'll secondary onto 3 lbs of pureed blackberry.

Is that in a 5 gallon batch (hope it is)?? You typically use about 2-3# of berries per gallon of must. I used 3# in my 3 gallon batch, during primary, then another 4.5# in secondary, so 7.5# of mashed berries total. I would NOT puree them, since that could cut into the seeds releasing unwanted flavors. Far better to use a potato masher on them. Some people freeze them for a short amount of time, thaw them fully, then mash them since it makes them easier to get into a more fluid state. I didn't do that in my batch.

I would go with 14# of honey to start (or less) and plan on using 2# per gallon of must for the berries (puts you to 10# of mashed berries)... I wouldn't add them all at one time. Split the berries into 2-4 additions, so that you don't have to worry about the cap too much. I would also only leave them in the mead for 5-7 days before racking off of them. So, plan on using at least 6 gallon fermenters while adding the berries (and in primary).

I intend to get honey from a local beekeeper, who two varieties: a sweet "spring" and a stronger-flavored spicy "summer" honey, of which I intend to use 50/50.

I'm considering using Safale s-04, Wyeast 4783 Rudesheimer Yeast or Wyeast 4184 Sweet Mead. I'm aiming to get a semi-sweet mead. I would really love some yeast suggestions.
I would use something like Lalvin D47 for a melomel... Actually, I used that in MY blackberry melomel that I started 11/24/10. Chances are, most beer yeasts won't go up to 14% ABV. Also the Wyeast Sweet Mead maxes out at 11%.

I'm hoping to be able to bottle this in 4 months, to let it then condition for a year. Am I being too optimistic?
Very much so IMO... Mine's not ready for bottles yet... It might be after 6 months in bulk, but time will tell. The longer you let it bulk age, the better it will be. It also gives you the opportunity to tweak it as you need until it's ready... Once it's in bottles, you lose that ability.

If you're going to let it age in bottles for a year, then I would make damned sure you don't back sweeten it much, if at all. I would also figure that it could ferment down to .990, so use that to help the calculations. With that in mind, I would start with about 12# of honey until after the blackberries are all done being added, and racked off of. IF it has gone to .990-.998, then start adding a bit of honey until it stops fermenting it... I would stop adding honey once you hit 1.010... Let it bulk age a bit longer, to make sure it's not still dropping, then look to bottle it. That will put it in the 'medium' dryness range. When it ages for the year (or longer) it will actually get sweeter.

IF you can swing it, I would actually bulk age it for the year you're away. Get a corny keg, put it all in there, put a blanket of CO2 on it (get the lid to seal, purge it all, and put 1-2 PSI into it). Leave it where it will be cool for most of the year. If you have friends/family with a basement that doesn't get above the upper 60's see if they'll let you squirrel it away there while you're away. When you get back, bottle it up and let it age some more. :D

Mead gets better with age. So going that route just means you'll have something even better once you start drinking it. With this method, as long as it's off the berries before you go abroad, just let it age in the corny until you return. Much better than trying to rush it.

Is that in a 5 gallon batch (hope it is)?? You typically use about 2-3# of berries per gallon of must.

Hah, yes, I thought I mentioned it was a five gallon batch, but I must have forgotten in my excitement. :)

I would NOT puree them, since that could cut into the seeds releasing unwanted flavors.

Covered that base. I'm have vintners harvest canned puree (that was supposed to originally go into a beer), that's free of seeds.

I would go with 14# of honey to start (or less) and plan on using 2# per gallon of must for the berries (puts you to 10# of mashed berries)... I wouldn't add them all at one time. Split the berries into 2-4 additions, so that you don't have to worry about the cap too much. I would also only leave them in the mead for 5-7 days before racking off of them. So, plan on using at least 6 gallon fermenters while adding the berries (and in primary).

So to be clear, add an addition of blackberries, wait 5-7 days, rack, add an addition of blackberries, wait 5-7 days, rack, repeat until having used 10 lbs of berries?

I would use something like Lalvin D47 for a melomel...

Sounds good.

Very much so IMO... It also gives you the opportunity to tweak it as you need until it's ready... Once it's in bottles, you lose that ability.

Hadn't even considered that, but definitely makes sense.

IF you can swing it, I would actually bulk age it for the year you're away. Get a corny keg, put it all in there, put a blanket of CO2 on it (get the lid to seal, purge it all, and put 1-2 PSI into it).

I've been on the verge of buying a corny for a month now. I believe you just gave me the final reason to buy one. :D

As far as fermentation, I should be looking to add yeast nutrient, correct?

I made a blackberry melomel that is now approaching 2 years old.

I used 8 lbs of blackberries for 5 gallons and it is a pretty strong flavor IMO.

I racked onto the blackberries in secondary for about 2 weeks, then racked off to another bulk fermenter for about 10 months. According to my notes, I was already at terminal gravity when I racked off the blackberries.

Hah, yes, I thought I mentioned it was a five gallon batch, but I must have forgotten in my excitement. :)

It happens... :D

Covered that base. I'm have vintners harvest canned puree (that was supposed to originally go into a beer), that's free of seeds.
I used fresh fruit, so cutting the seeds would have been worse than crossing the streams... :D

So to be clear, add an addition of blackberries, wait 5-7 days, rack, add an addition of blackberries, wait 5-7 days, rack, repeat until having used 10 lbs of berries?
Yup... Especially if there's any fruit matter in there at all. If it's all liquid, then you could go a bit longer, but I wouldn't go more than 10 day. Depending on the amount of flavor in the puree, or what you use for berries, it would be a good idea to taste before you add more...

Sounds good.

Just needs to taste good when you're done. :D You might want to check out the info on Lalvin yeast strains available to you... There's a LOT of people over at Got Mead? that use them...

Hadn't even considered that, but definitely makes sense.

I've been on the verge of buying a corny for a month now. I believe you just gave me the final reason to buy one. :D
Glad I could help give you that final justification... You'll probably 'need' to get a good dual regulator and at least a 5# CO2 tank too of course. :D Unless you have a friend that will help you out there. I would opt for a corny that either started life as a ball lock, or was converted and the lid has the ball lock style release valve in it. That way you can purge via the pull ring. Or just get a brand new corny and not worry about it at all. :D

As far as fermentation, I should be looking to add yeast nutrient, correct?
Yeah, at least until you hit the 1/3 break... You could add some fruit in primary, to help out, or reserve it all for secondary. You're call there. You'll get different flavors from each, so using both should give you more depth of flavor.

There's more info on both the full batch nutrient addition method, as well as the stepped nutrient method on the Got Mead? site... I would advise weighing the nutrient you plan to use, so that you get the correct amount each time. It's usually in grams per gallon of must. DAP is a very commonly used nutrient, as is Fermaid-K and a couple of others.

Once you hit the 1/3 break, you won't need to de-gass/aerate or feed it again. Once fermentation has finished (for the honey you initially add) you can add the first round of blackberries to the batch. Then rack onto the second round and repeat until you're happy with the result...

Since you'll be bulk aging it, you can leave it, come back, taste it and decide if you need to give it more blackberries or not... I would actually wait to back sweeten it until you come back... Get it so that it's not going below about 1.002 before you leave, and let it get better... :rockin: You could come back to the same SG, but have it taste much better than the value would indicate. :D

I used 8 lbs of blackberries for 5 gallons and it is a pretty strong flavor IMO.

Go strong or go home, right? :rockin:

It happens... :D
Glad I could help give you that final justification... You'll probably 'need' to get a good dual regulator and at least a 5# CO2 tank too of course. :D Unless you have a friend that will help you out there.

I may "need" a corny or two extra. Ya know, just in case. :)

There's more info on both the full batch nutrient addition method, as well as the stepped nutrient method on the Got Mead? site...

Great, I'll snoop around over there and see what I can find.

Thanks Gold, you're above and beyond helpful!

Go strong or go home, right? :rockin:

F'ing RIGHT brothah... :D

I may "need" a corny or two extra. Ya know, just in case. :)

If you don't need to justify the spending to anyone else, go for it... If you do, then I'm sure we can help you come up with some viable answers... "The price is less per unit, when you buy a half dozen at a time." See... :D

Great, I'll snoop around over there and see what I can find.

Thanks Gold, you're above and beyond helpful!

Don't let too many people hear you there... lol

I do try to help a lot, just some people ask the most ******** questions... Things that have been answered to death before... At least this was one that I could help out with from first hand experience. Plus, you had already done some research on your own (goes a long way in my book)... :D

Maybe we can do a bottle swap when you're back in country and actually have the batch in bottles. :D

Back