First All grain recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstuts2260

Reaction score
So I finally convinced the girlfriend that it's a good decision to go all grain. I'm ready to roll on equipment and will be doing my first all grain batch this coming weekend. I'm doing a NB kit for my first batch so it's one less thing I have to worry about.

The question is, the gf wants me to make a Pyramid Hefe clone (part of the negotiations). I realize it's really an American wheat and have pointed that out to her already, fyi. But it's all about keeping the peace as my brewing equipment slowly and surely takes over the place. This is my first attempt at a AG recipe, and my logic makes me think I'm spot on but I have never done this before.

Here's what I got from the pyramid website:

Original Gravity: 12.5
Alcohol by Volume: 5.20%
IBU: 18
Malts:
39% 2 Row Pale Barley, 60% Malted Wheat,1% Caramel
Hops:
Nugget, Liberty

Here's what I have:

OG: 1.057
Type: All Grain
FG: 1.015
ABV: 5.50 %
IBU's: 17.76
Efficiency: 75 % Boil Size: 5.83 Gal
Color: 4.3 SRM Batch Size: 5.00 Gal
Boil Time: 60 minutes

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount - Percentage - Name - Gravity - Color
6.00 lbs 59.46 %Pale Malt (2 Row) US1.0362.0
4.00 lbs 39.64 %White Wheat Malt1.0402.4
0.09 lbs 0.89 %Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L1.03520.0

Hops
Amount - IBU's - Name - Time - AA %
0.50 ozs 3.73 Liberty 15 mins 4.30
0.30 ozs 13.63 Nugget 60 mins 13.00

Yeasts
1.0 pkg American Hefeweizen Ale White Labs

I think it looks pretty good. Any thoughts on using Wyeast American Wheat yeast instead?

Obviously I'm super pumped to finally be taking the big plunge. Let me know what you guys think of my recipe.

James

I wouldn't add any crystal to a wheat. It will be much better if you use a pound of Munich instead. She won't know the difference and my guess is that she'll complain that it's too sweet (or sweeter than Pyramid) if you use the crystal. You also might want to up the 2-row and wheat a bit since you are just starting AG and your efficiency will most likely be low.

Back