iPod "Touch"...16gb? WTF is Apple thinking?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
I was committed to buying the touchscreen iPod when it came out. My 60gb video model won't charge via firewire anymore, so I've been scheming on a new one.

I figured, at the very least, it'd be 80gb. 60 if they're feeling cheap. So when I saw this morning that they had unveiled it, I got my wallet out. Then, when I saw "16gb" for the higher end model, I put my wallet back in my pocket. Eff that. As cool as it'd be to have internet, etc., I just don't see how they can justify $400 for 16gb of storage and no e-mail. I'm sure all the apple fanboys are stumbling over themselves trying to preorder them this morning, but not me.

Whaddayathink?

I've heard it described as the iPhone without that silly phone stuff. They went with flash memory as opposed to a HD for power saving and reliability issues, as well as a slimmer size... but I'd still rather have more space.

I am still happy as hell with my 30gig. More than enough music for me to listen to. If it ever takes a crap on me, i would deff. buy another one. Now that the classis is 160 gig.....think I know what I would be buying.

its flash memory though, nobody has a 16gb flash memory unit out yet, I am still waiting for a 60gb+ flash memory mp3 player before I buy one. I just don't like the idea of running with a hard-drive in my pocket.

They need to figure out a way where I can easily find the album I want to listen to while driving. The fingerpad thing sucks.

Well if you are thinking of it as Apple's replacement for the video Ipod, then 16 GB is not a lot. But if you think of it as the successor to the Nano, then 16 GB is great. If that makes sense .....

FWIW, I have a 30gig Creative Zen Vision M that plays video and it rocks! The screen is sharp, and best of all, you don't have to use that bloated memory hog iTunes

SanDisk will soon begin offering some of the highest capacity removable memory cards in the world. Today, this company announced that, before the end of this year, it will be selling both 12- and 16-gigabyte CompactFlash cards.

SanDisk is targeting these cards at professional photographers, but they can just as easily be used by those who want to store very large amounts of data on a handheld.

These cards will be part of SanDisk's Extreme III series, which means that they will have minimum write and read speeds of 20 megabytes per second (MB/sec.).

Both of these CompactFlash cards will be available in December. The 12 GB version will cost $800 at launch, while the 16 GB one will cost $1050.

While the initial prices for these accessories will put them out of the range of the average user, the cost for them will inevitably drop as time goes on.

5258.jpg

this is such a queer statement

Starbucks Music

You walk into a Starbucks. Order your latté. While you wait, you hear a song wafting from the loudspeakers. You love it. So you get out your iPod touch and buy it over Wi-Fi. Just like that. The iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store on iPod touch tells you what’s playing in select Starbucks and lets you buy it along with other featured Starbucks content. So you can sip, shop, and listen.

and I love 'Bucks, but this is rediculous

98EXL said:
this is such a queer statement

and I love 'Bucks, but this is rediculous

...made even more ridiculous by the fact that asshat Charbucks CHARGES YOU for effing wifi. :mad:

Cheesefood said:
Or you go home, fire up BitTorrent, and get it for free.

werd. Everyone's been hyping the fact that you can buy songs directly from the thing. Screw that. Oink, oink. :rockin:

krispy d said:

good point...I could pop one of those in my cell phone and have a 16gb ipod. The new ipod does has wifi...how could it not have e-mail? My e-mail is accessible through a web-interface.

greenhornet said:
All I know is their stock just dropped...

I know, and I made a killing! I had 20 Put Option contracts which increase in value when the underlying stock drops in value. I've have felt that Apple's stock has been overvalued, which is why I bought the puts. Seeing that their stock is down another $2 today I'm wishing that I hadn't got out, but I have exit rules that I follow, and yesterday triggered those rules. :ban:

johnsma22 said:
I know, and I made a killing! I had 20 Put Option contracts which increase in value when the underlying stock drops in value. I've have felt that Apple's stock has been overvalued, which is why I bought the puts. Seeing that their stock is down another $2 today I'm wishing that I hadn't got out, but I have exit rules that I follow, and yesterday triggered those rules. :ban:

It's amazing how strong AAPL's been in the face of a very difficult market. "Cult" stocks like that scare the hell out of me; you can't short them, they've got so much momentum behind them that they'll get driven up regardless of whether the news is good or bad, but at some point they are going to look U-G-L-Y. Buying the puts is definately the better strategy with an AAPL (or a GOOG, or any other stock that elicits such frenzy among its adherants), rather than trying to short it.

Starbucks Music

You walk into a Starbucks. Order your latté. While you wait, you hear a song wafting from the loudspeakers. You love it. So you get out your iPod touch and buy it over Wi-Fi. Just like that. The iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store on iPod touch tells you what’s playing in select Starbucks and lets you buy it along with other featured Starbucks content. So you can sip, shop, and listen.

I had this idea a year or so back. Literally word for word. Damn me, this has happened to me before, I wish companies would stop spying on me.

Evan! said:
...made even more ridiculous by the fact that asshat Charbucks CHARGES YOU for effing wifi.

When I go into, or walk by a Starbucks and I see people using the internet, I want to yell "You stupid idiot! Go next door to Coffee House X and use their interent for free! And get some better coffee for cheaper from the local folks!" Grrr...

Beerrific said:
When I go into, or walk by a Starbucks and I see people using the internet, I want to yell "You stupid idiot! Go next door to Coffee House X and use their interent for free! And get some better coffee for cheaper from the local folks!" Grrr...

Hehe, that reminded me of the "Tweaks Coffee" SP episode.

the_bird said:
It's amazing how strong AAPL's been in the face of a very difficult market. "Cult" stocks like that scare the hell out of me; you can't short them, they've got so much momentum behind them that they'll get driven up regardless of whether the news is good or bad, but at some point they are going to look U-G-L-Y. Buying the puts is definately the better strategy with an AAPL (or a GOOG, or any other stock that elicits such frenzy among its adherants), rather than trying to short it.

I agree with you completely. I actually only trade in options. I don't own any stock, and even if I did, I would never short stock. Unlimitied risk to the downside isn't very appealing to me. Apple is the only company that I have broken my own rules with recently because of all the volititlity. I have been pretty lucky in my predictions with Apple over the recent months.

Several weeks ago when Apple was up into the high $130 range I bought puts. The stock them plumeted to around $113, I got out and bought calls. Then it skyrocketed again to over $140 just recently and I got out and bought puts again. Then yesterday happened and I sold my puts. I haven't bought any calls again and think that I may just sit back for awhile. How much more luck can expect? I look at the profits I made on this Apple rollercoaster lately as an annomoly and I'm going to take it and run!

I definitely am not one of these bandwagon types that have to pounce on a new technological toy just because it is new, like the iPhone. But having said that, Apple is leading the market with this technology, so why all the hate?

So many people bust on Apple, but my wife's 4 y.o. iBook is more reliable than my 1 y.o. Dell (which just succumbed to a virus-to the tune of $180 to fix).

How many people bitched about the cost of the iPhone, which is now $200 cheaper. Still pissed about the price?

98EXL said:
how can you surf the web and not get rid of viruses for $0?

I use the computer for school only or to check news on Yahoo. I occasionally use it to come here, but I hadn't updated the Norton since I bought it because I felt I wasn't going to any questionable sites. As far as understanding computers goes, I don't.

I would have no idea whether or not a virus protection found on the web for $0 would be legitamate, or just create a virus.

I never made any claims to being cumputer savvy.

Flyin' Lion said:
I would have no idea whether or not a virus protection found on the web for $0 would be legitamate, or just create a virus.

I never made any claims to being cumputer savvy.

www.avast.com

I live and die by this software, and it's $0

I never said you were computer savy, I just realized how I worded my response came off like an ass, sorry about that.

I've owned nothing but Apple computers since 1999. I've also never bought one piece of anti-virus or anti-spyware software, or used any of the freeware that's available. All of them are still running and have never crashed from a software failure. I have replaced a hard drive or two though, but was warned of the pending failure by Apple's disk utility and backed them up before they failed.

98EXL said:
www.avast.com

I live and die by this software, and it's $0

I never said you were computer savy, I just realized how I worded my response came off like an ass, sorry about that.

FWIW I didn't take it that way. I just assume that people here know I'm computer illiterate. No harm done. :D

EDIT: to say that the guy fixing my Dell is installing a corporate version of Norton that doesn't run out. Is this plenty of protecion or should I also install the avast.com?

Sorry 'bout the threadjack Ethan! :eek:

Flyin' Lion said:
FWIW I didn't take it that way. I just assume that people here know I'm computer illiterate. No harm done. :D

EDIT: to say that the guy fixing my Dell is installing a corporate version of Norton that doesn't run out. Is this plenty of protecion or should I also install the avast.com?

Sorry 'bout the threadjack Ethan! :eek:

ditch SAV CE...avast gets rid of viruses way better. I would have gotten rid of SAV here, but we were kinda forced to extend our license........

johnsma22 said:
I've owned nothing but Apple computers since 1999. I've also never bought one piece of anti-virus or anti-spyware software, or used any of the freeware that's available. All of them are still running and have never crashed from a software failure. I have replaced a hard drive or two though, but was warned of the pending failure by Apple's disk utility and backed them up before they failed.

That would be because Apple only owns 3.6% of the market share, hackers don't bother writing viruses to infect 3.6% of the computers out there...just wait though, they are coming.

oh, and if you use firefox, you are pretty much safe from viruses unless you download a bunch of dumb $hit...

98EXL said:
how can you surf the web and not get rid of viruses for $0?

sure

http://antivirus.about.com/od/antivirussoftwarereviews/a/freeav_2.htm

"If we left spyware/adware removal out of the mix and focused only on the scanner's ability to detect traditional virus threats, out of a possible 125.6 points, AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic scored 94, AVAST 4 Home Edition scored 89, and AVG Free Edition scored 66. However, when we included adware/spyware removal in the judging, the results were dismal, with AVAST scoring highest at 66 points, AntiVir following at 58, and AVG with only 30."

Avast, Antivir and AVG are all reputable free antivirus. I run AntiVir and combined with fiesty fox, I haven't had any issues.

Apple is going to make a butt load of money off the Ipod touch (and all the iPods they release/updated). So if you want a slice of their pie, buy some of their stock, hold onto it until after the holidays, and then sell. Probably a good chance of making some dough off them.

But people will buy this product because of the wow factor, hell, i bought the iPhone on day 1 (and i f*cking love it and dont regret it what so ever no matter what anyone says!)

I think Apple has been making some bone headed business decisions lately. 16GB would be a step back.

I know someone who purchased an I-phone only to find out that he had to activate it via i-tunes. That was bad enough but he got part way through the process and it asked him for his credit card number to be used for i-tune purchases. He refused to enter his CC information and the activation would not continue. He promptly went back to the apple store and, when they confirmed that he would indeed have to enter his credit card info, promptly got his money back. I can't for the life of me figure out why apple would do this.

What is it with apple and their i-tune BS?

RichBrewer said:
I think Apple has been making some bone headed business decisions lately. 16GB would be a step back.

I know someone who purchased an I-phone only to find out that he had to activate it via i-tunes. That was bad enough but he got part way through the process and it asked him for his credit card number to be used for i-tune purchases. He refused to enter his CC information and the activation would not continue. He promptly went back to the apple store and, when they confirmed that he would indeed have to enter his credit card info, promptly got his money back. I can't for the life of me figure out why apple would do this.

What is it with apple and their i-tune BS?

It was known that you would have to do this with the iPhone before it went on sale. If I'm not mistaken, all new cell phone contracts (expect the pre pay ones obviously) require a credit check and then they determine if you need to pay a deposit. That way if you have bad credit, and stop paying your bill, they still get their money, blame it on ATT.

The 16 GB is the newest NAND flash memory, its not hard drive based, they have other products that give you more memory if that is what is important to you.

Yeast Infection said:
It was known that you would have to do this with the iPhone before it went on sale. If I'm not mistaken, all new cell phone contracts (expect the pre pay ones obviously) require a credit check and then they determine if you need to pay a deposit. That way if you have bad credit, and stop paying your bill, they still get their money, blame it on ATT.
Entering the credit card information is an i-tunes requirement that is in addition to, and completely separate from the contract the user enters with AT&T. It's apple's way of sticking it to it's customers.

RichBrewer said:
Entering the credit card information is an i-tunes requirement that is in addition to, and completely separate from the contract the user enters with AT&T. It's apple's way of sticking it to it's customers.

IIRC credit card info is only required if you want to make purchases from the itunes store when you use it on a computer. Is it a default requirement with the iPhone?

brewt00l said:
IIRC credit card info is only required if you want to make purchases from the itunes store when you use it on a computer. Is it a default requirement with the iPhone?
It wouldn't let us get past the credit card requirement. When he went back to the store where he purchased it they told him that it was indeed a requirement.

Back