Unexpected peppery flavor on wheat ale.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paquitin

Reaction score
So I have brewed this beer before using Amarillo and citra hops and it has turned out great. This past weekend I brewed it but bc of the shortage on both Amarillo and citra I found myself substituting them with centennial and galena. I used the same grains

Paquitin said:
So I have brewed this beer before using Amarillo and citra hops and it has turned out great. This past weekend I brewed it but bc of the shortage on both Amarillo and citra I found myself substituting them with centennial and galena. I used the same grains

But this time the beer just had a peppery finish. I do biab, here is the original recipe:
Batch size: 7 gal
Boil time: 90 min
OG: 1.050
Color: 5.0
IBU: 40.8

7lbs 8 oz wheat red malt
5lbs pale malt
1lbs. Caravienne malt
.40 oz Amarillo first wort 60 min
.50 oz Amarillo boil 60 min
.50 oz Citra 15 min
1.50 oz Amarillo 5 min
.50 oz Citra 5 min
.60 oz Amarillo 0 min

The difference with the last one I brewed was that instead of using Amarillo I used centennial and for the Citra I used galena.
Does anyone have a clue?

Does any body have an idea, I tried to look for some info and have come out short. Need help.

What yeast did you use and at what temp did you ferment? I am assuming you were shooting for an American wheat?

Peppery flavors are phenolic compounds related to fermentation, I'm also interested in hearing your yeast selection and fermentation schedule.

I would think it has to be an issue with your yeast. Was it a repitch, temp get high, fluctuation in fermetation temperature ......

Possibly after a few weeks of aging it will be more subdued.

duboman said:
What yeast did you use and at what temp did you ferment? I am assuming you were shooting for an American wheat?

The first couple of times that I have brewed this beer I used WL California ale, this time I used WL Kolsh Ale and fermented @ 66F.
I have to say that the beer had that spicy peppery taste even before I pitched the yeast.

I've only used that yeast once a while back but I believe the peppery taste you are getting is derived from the yeast selection.

For an American wheat you should really use a clean yeast like 1056 or dry 05

For a german I use 3068

The only reason I switched yeast it was bc I heard on one of the brew strong shows that to make are slog good American wheat ale the trick was to use a Kolsch yeast.

The first couple of times that I have brewed this beer I used WL California ale, this time I used WL Kolsh Ale and fermented @ 66F.
I have to say that the beer had that spicy peppery taste even before I pitched the yeast.

If that's the case then I might suspect the Galena, because your definitely not going to get that from Citra. Not in my experience anyhow

Thats is exactly what I am thinking. I am almost positive that the centennial will not leave a spicy note, but this was the first time I use galena. I transferred the beer to secondary and added 3 pounds of apricot purée. I will leave it in secondary for two weeks and will let it condition in a keg for 1 month. I am hopping that by doing this it will mellow out some of that peppery taste.

Yankeehillbrewer said:
If that's the case then I might suspect the Galena, because your definitely not going to get that from Citra. Not in my experience anyhow

Galena is primarily a mellow bittering hop, I still lean towards the yeast, even though it was recommended for the beer you brewed it may have put off a flavor you're not happy with or more sensitive to than other's palettes.

What was your mash temp? Single or step mash? If you mash wheat at lower temps around 120 - 130 you can extract some flavors very similar to pepper or spice, can't remember off hand what it is but I believe it is a fat gobbulin that has spicy notes. Really can change the flavor profile and give depth to your beer.

What was your mash temp? Single or step mash? If you mash wheat at lower temps around 120 - 130 you can extract some flavors very similar to pepper or spice, can't remember off hand what it is but I believe it is a fat gobbulin that has spicy notes. Really can change the flavor profile and give depth to your beer.

I think you are referring to a ferulic acid rest although that would be around 111 deg with will enable more of a clove flavor in wheat beers.

Yeah thanks onthekeg was at lunch and didn't have a chance to double check when I wrote that ... Really does make for an interesting flavor profile though.

Back