Another reason why you never want to run/own a brewpub.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thataintchicken

Reaction score
When an employee collapses mid-shift and you have to take her to the hospital.
I don't care about the days of paperwork I need to do. I just want her to be ok. I know she has been doing some extreme dieting. She has been counseled against such things... and I think this was the problem today.

I can't be boss, daddy and friend. It is not possible.
Maybe I care about my people too much.

I need another beer.

That's too bad. Hope she's okay.

When is it going to become common sense knowledge that starvation is not the key to a healthy weight.

Eat....eat....eat....eat....

It's a horrible society that our youth live in. unfortunately some don't have the guidance to to help them cope with everything and realize the media isn't real life. I hope she's ok.

Hope she's ok!

I feel you in your situation- It's hard to distance yourself, and are stuck being the mean boss or good friend. Both have their up sides, but it's hard working with some one and not caring. Hard part is when it becomes a business issue and you're stuck with be a friend help and business suffers, or make the tough call to help business and feel like an @ss...

I hope she's alright. I've seen this kind of thing before. It's not unlikely that she has an eating disorder (anorexia/bulemia). It's a lot more common than many people realize. Obvisouly more so in women. And it's not something to be judgemental about... it's difficult, especially for most men, to understand why people have these conditions. But it goes way beyond food. She might need some professional help getting through it, but she CAN get through it (if she has it). The worst thing to do is to say "shame shame" and just tell her not to do it anymore or try to eat right. Then she'll just get better at hiding it. Eating disorders are manifestations of much deeper issues.

people never think about the emotional aspect of the restaurant/service business.

My employee is ok.. she will be back next week. Which is good.
I spent a good part of today war gaming what would happen if I lost key people. How would I replace them? Could I?

My closing team is quirky and weird.. but we are productive. We get the job done, and we get it done well.

It's not all about profit/loss and spreadsheets.
Running a business is about people and your relationships to them.
End of the day.. I may not have made every possible dollar, but my people are happy and they trust me.

can't ask for much more.

You let her drink on the job? lol

no. in fact , policy is that if you drink here.. you are fired. period.
not even on your off time.

clarification.
I manage a quick service pizza restaurant currently. Not a brewpub.
I merely mentioned brewpub in the title as it pertains better to the basis of HBT posts.

Not many people come here asking about running a pizza joint.
sorry if there was confusion.

no. in fact , policy is that if you drink here.. you are fired. period.
not even on your off time.

clarification.
I manage a quick service pizza restaurant currently. Not a brewpub.
I merely mentioned brewpub in the title as it pertains better to the basis of HBT posts.

Not many people come here asking about running a pizza joint.
sorry if there was confusion.

mmmmm Pizza and Beer! :mug:

Why such a fuss about them having a beer at work? I work in a liquor store, I'm often expected to taste new wines and such before we start selling them, I have a beer with my boss after hours. Is it really that big a deal?

Back