Everyday IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeviaanah

Reaction score
I bought a one gallon kit from Brooklyn Brew shop. Followed instructions to the teet. Ive been thinking about really getting into this as a new hobby....a few questions..

I understand checking specific gravity is the only way to ensure fermentation is taking place. Unfortunately I didnt have a hydrometer to measure OG. I plan on purchasing one tomorrow (7/6/12) Should I just play this batch out without one? Continue to follow instructions and enjoy? Instructions don't mention anything about testing SG.

I believe OG can be given from creator of recipe but I havent been able to find it. How accurate is original gravity from one brewer to the next using same kit? What would change OG?

Thanks in advance.

is is an extract kit? if it is and your water volumes are per the recipe the OG will not vary from brewer to brewer. all grain can vary due to crush, mashing variables etc.

It'll be fine. Get your hydrometer and check the gravity at 10 days, then every 3 days after that. When you get two readings that are the same, you can bottle. It's very likely that most of the fermentation will be done before 10 days, but that is my minimum time to start checking.

The OG is very accurate for extract brews (using dry or liquid malt extract). The OG for all-grain is a bit more dicey since it depends how well the brewer gets the sugars out of the malt. I've never done a "kit", so I don't know exactly what the instructions look like.

For any brewer, the OG will change if they use more (or less) water.

More experienced brewers will boil until they reach the OG they are looking for. A refractometer makes this easy by allowing you to measure the gravity during the boil.

is is an extract kit? if it is and your water volumes are per the recipe the OG will not vary from brewer to brewer. all grain can vary due to crush, mashing variables etc.
This is all grain recipe. I see thanks for the reply!
It'll be fine. Get your hydrometer and check the gravity at 10 days, then every 3 days after that. When you get two readings that are the same, you can bottle. It's very likely that most of the fermentation will be done before 10 days, but that is my minimum time to start checking.

The OG is very accurate for extract brews (using dry or liquid malt extract). The OG for all-grain is a bit more dicey since it depends how well the brewer gets the sugars out of the malt. I've never done a "kit", so I don't know exactly what the instructions look like.

For any brewer, the OG will change if they use more (or less) water.

More experienced brewers will boil until they reach the OG they are looking for. A refractometer makes this easy by allowing you to measure the gravity during the boil.
I see thanks bro. I will go ahead and buy the hydrometer and test. Here is what I followed....

_________
The Mash
• Heat 2.5 quarts of water to 160°F (71°C).
• Add grain (This is called “mashing in.” Take note of jargon. Or don’t).
• Mix gently with spoon or spatula until mash has consistency of oatmeal.
Add water if too dry or hot. Temperature will drop to ~150°F (66°C).
• Cook for 60 minutes at 144-152°F (63-68°C). Stir every 10 minutes, and use
your thermometer to take temperature readings from multiple locations.
• You likely don’t need to apply heat constantly. Get it up to temperature, then turn
the heat off. Monitor, stir, and adjust accordingly to keep in range.
• After 60 minutes, heat to 170°F (77°C) while stirring constantly (“Mashing Out”).

The Sparge
• Heat additional 4 quarts of water to 170°F (77°C).
• Set up your “lauter tun” (a strainer over a pot).
• Carefully add the hot grain mash to the strainer, collecting the liquid that passes
through.
• This liquid is called “wort” (pronounced “wert”). It will be your beer.
• Slowly and evenly pour 170°F (77°C) water over the mash to extract the grain’s sugars.
• You want to collect a gallon and a quart of wort. You will lose about 20% to
evaporation during the boil so you will want to start with a bit more.
• Re-circulate wort through grain once.
_________

Thanks everyone

I wouldn't recommend the standard 3-day stability check with a one gallon kit. Unless your very sanitary and pouring your beer back in the carboy, which can cause oxidation, you are loosing a decent amount of your stash right off the bat.

I would consider getting a refractometer and simply checking your OG for now. Everyday was my first kit a long time ago, it can be pretty tasty and to get so few beers because you want to simply check your OG doesn't really add up.

Have fun with the first batch. If the directions are still the same, I would let it go 3 weeks instead of 2 before bottling. If and when you want to get really serious, start thinking about your FG. I still do one gallon and only take a hydrometer reading with the leftovers at bottling time, and infrequently at best, unless its a new batch. I almost always do a OG reading with a refractometer though

I bought a hydrometer the other day but I'm thinking I'll just go about this batch without it. As you mentioned contamination and loss of beer. I took a quick sniff at it today and it's startin to smell like an ipa.

I'm getting ready to buy and make a bunch of 7 gal stuff

Latest posts

Back