Intersting Krausen Formation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huisache

Reaction score
Brewed the Bee Cave IPA on Saturday. Everything went well so I put the fermenter up and on Sunday afternoon I went to check on it. Much to my surprise it looked like I had barely missed having a blow out. This was strange since in none of previous brews i was close, usually with 1.5 inches to spare. Small remnants of the Krausen were left at the base of the of the airlock and I wanted to make sure that I wasn't about to have a bigger issue so I used a flashlight to see how close I was to a blowoff.

Turns out the Krausen thought it was spiderman and had climbed up the side of the fermenter and along the lid. Anyone else ever have this happen to them? Hopefully the attached picture gives a little more detail.

image-2733143079.jpg

The last brew I made had a really strange krausen that went up like a mountain in the middle and was virtually non-existent on the sides until the next day when the whole thing was up to the top. Fermentation is an amazing thing and can be strange.

The last brew I made had a really strange krausen that went up like a mountain in the middle and was virtually non-existent on the sides until the next day when the whole thing was up to the top. Fermentation is an amazing thing and can be strange.

I just had a recent beer do that to me as well. Very odd indeed.

Back