Sanke keg disassembly help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltymike

Reaction score
Well not the most glamorous of first posts but I am having a devil of a time opening my recently acquired keg. I have searched the forums as well as Google but can't seem to find any instructions for a keg quite like mine. I have been following this one as my reference
Everything seems pretty standard except there was no retaining spring, and seemingly no place where one should be. There is no "female tab" on the actual keg either. (The place where you would put the screwdriver to get the spring out" All I did was hit the valve tab with my screwdriver and hammer a few times, and about 4 or 5 FULL rotations later the valve seems to be unscrewed all the way, but It still wont come out. I then found this video which shows a different type of mechanism using a clockwise method of removal..but that doesnt seem to work either
I am so confused.. If it helps.. it is a Miller Brewing Keg.

thanks
mike

Last edited by a moderator:
According to this thread there's also a safety catch that needs to be undone before the spear will come out.

I have a miller keg as well, and I haven't looked at taking the spear out yet, so this is good to know!

Ouch.. they lost me at "make a simple steel tool"

needless to say thats just undoable for me.. so for my next question, it should be fine to leave that in while I am cutting the top off to make my keggle?

Ouch.. they lost me at "make a simple steel tool"

needless to say thats just undoable for me.. so for my next question, it should be fine to leave that in while I am cutting the top off to make my keggle?

Yup, that's what I did. You end up with a little stainless steel umbrella for midgets. :)

Exactly! Just press the ball in with a screwdriver until it stops huffing at you, then cut the top off. And make sure it's on it's side, unless you like Bog Stench Beer Face.

Thanks everyone for your help. I depressurized the keg before I unscrewed the valve. Once the valve is unscrewed all the way, but still locked in with the mystery safety ..umm.. lock, shouldn't there be no more pressure build up?

I'm going to pick up an angle grinder and metal cutting blade tomorrow and cut this bad boy open on the weekend..

Thanks again

Back