Poor aging with Wyeast 1272

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Llarian

Reaction score
So I've had two batches in a row now where I've seen very very poor aging characteristics from 1272 yeast. I suspect part of it is that they'd been stored between 70-75 degrees, but even so I've never seen similar with 1056/WLP001.

Both were IPAs, and relativly high gravity (1.072ish), they fermented out correctly. Fermentation was probably a couple degrees higher than I wanted, but I don't think it was more than 72 degrees.

They tasted great going into bottles, and a week later were still a bit flat and green, but good tasting. However, after the 3 week were up they tasted hot, alcoholic, and had almost no hop or malt character remaining.

The gravity didn't change, so I don't think they dried out further.

Has anybody experienced this with this yeast (or in general?) I'm wondering if I need to find a better storage mechanism, but it seems like they've been degrading in the fridge as well. The ones I have in there now are around 5 weeks old and have been in the fridge for 2 of those weeks, and they taste horrible.

D

Llarian said:
I suspect part of it is that they'd been stored between 70-75 degrees
How long was it at that temp, and why are you storing your liquid yeast that warm? Not sure how or if that contributed to the problem, but it can't help.

Fermentation was probably a couple degrees higher than I wanted, but I don't think it was more than 72 degrees.

72 is the top of the suggested range for this yeast. If it was a little over that (and you seem unsure) you might have excessive fusel alcohol production.

Sorry, I mean the bottled beer had been stored at that temperature, since I don't have air conditioning. The yeast was stored in the fridge prior to making a starter.

I'd agree with the fusel alcohol thing, except that it tasted great just before bottling. Still a possibility though.

-D

Back