Headed AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daver77

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm diving into AG and was thinking about the 2 5 gal Gott coolers set up. One mash tun and the other for the sparge water. What else should I be concerned about besides a wort chiller and a pot big enough to boil 5 gal (I have a 7gal Pot now).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I would skip the sparge cooler and spend the $ on a bigger boil pot. It kinda depends what you are brewing though, and what equipment you already have, for high gravity brews you may need a 10gal mash tun, etc.

How big of a pot? I have a 7 gal right now.

I think your right maybe I should be looking at the 10 gal coolers instead.

9 or 10 gallon pot would be good for 5 gallon batches. I have a 9 gallon BK, 10 gallon round cooler for mash tun, and a 7 gallon pot for heating water.

If you need any help with process/math I would suggest downloading my brew chart below in my signature. It's set up for all grain batch sparging and does all the math for you (strike temp, mash/sparge volumes, yeast pitch, etc...). Helps you track your beer on brewday as well so you know where you're at with numbers in case any on the fly changes need to be made. If you have questions please feel free to ask.

Good luck.

cp

One thing I forgot to mention I'm doing this indoors so I need a pot that will fit on my gas stove. 9 gal might fit

I have a turkey fryer so maybe I can get a pot that serves dual purpose. Use the same pot for brewing on the burner outside and once that I can use on my stove for the colder months.

My 9 gallon pot works great on my stove. A 10 gallon would as well I figure. Of course the size of your stove/burner will determine this as well. I brew indoors in the winter and outdoors in the spring, summer, and fall.

One thing I forgot to mention I'm doing this indoors so I need a pot that will fit on my gas stove. 9 gal might fit

I have a turkey fryer so maybe I can get a pot that serves dual purpose. Use the same pot for brewing on the burner outside and once that I can use on my stove for the colder months.

Have towels handy. I brew inside, it can get messy :)

Like the others said, dont worry about the HLT cooler. I just use my boil kettle usually.

I saw a great 9 Gal and 10 gal pot today looks like it fits on the stove. One is aluminum 89 bucks (thick heavy gauge) and the Stainless Steel one was 130 not a bad price for either.

Is your gas stove able to bring roughly 7 gallons of wort to a boil?

Is your gas stove able to bring roughly 7 gallons of wort to a boil?

Not sure...I have done 5.5 gallon boils with no issues just takes longer but have done it. Large suface area on the bottom so it evaps quicker I think.

If your going to be doing AG then you will be boiling close to or more than 7 gallons

I sometimes brew inside when it's just too cold outside. I can easily bring 7 gallons to a boil on my electric stove as long as I cover it with a lid. That's enough to get it to a boil. And when you take it off it stays at a boil.

Back