are these pots brew friendly?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pivot

Reaction score
I work as a short order cook in a local restaurant. they have about half a dozen very large pots, probably about 15 gallons or so. they have 1 or 2 that they dont need and seem to be willing to sell me one possibly, and super super cheap. The question is, is one of these pots useable for homebrewing? they were used to cook pasta and different things in the restaurant. what are your guys 2 cents?

More than likely restaurant grade aluminum if they are getting rid of them cheap. More information on the pots would be useful, but chances are if they came from a restaurant they are just fine.

I dont have any pics at the moment. they are just really big pots, very clean on the inside. Im just wondering if there are any implications with comes from having food cooked inside of them, and the effect this fact might have on the brew.

No issues with food. I've deep fried in the same pot I brew in. Wife has made soups, etc....

More than likely restaurant grade aluminum if they are getting rid of them cheap. More information on the pots would be useful, but chances are if they came from a restaurant they are just fine.

they arent even really 'looking' to sell them off, they just have a bunch of them that dont really get used and said i might be able to buy one cheap because i work there

I think you're good dude. Nice score on the 15 gallon pots. Time to step it up to 10 gallon batches.(Oh, No!! More beer. what ever will I do with more beer?)

haha well right now im still stuck doing batches on my stovetop so the pot really isnt necessary right now, but i will definitely need it one day soooon!:rockin:

If they are cheap enough, I'm sure you can get them really clean. Just boil some water in them and make sure no oil is leaching out.
Lids are only needed if you use one as a mash tun.
Use tin foil or something to cover it if you want to increase water heating time.
Hey, maybe if they like you, just ask if you can have them! Then bid up to get two or three.
If you don't use them (Not very likely) you can always make some change on CL.

Latest posts

Back