Dry hopping w/ whole leaf

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrambledegg81

Flocculation Nation
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
First let me say what a massive PITA this was! Considering the opening of the average carboy is about 12 microns wide, there was quite the leafy (yet tantalizingly aromatic) mess.

But considering I flaked and forgot to grab a hop bag from my LHBS (and they're closed today & tomorrow), I decided to go full-tilt and just dump em.

Oh, the glory. :rockin:

8819_149513119330_700544330_2642015_1058527_n.jpg

8819_149513124330_700544330_2642016_4210813_n.jpg

Lookin good. I hope there is a cover (tee shirt) or something going over that carboy with it being hit by some of that sunshine coming through that window. If not the chance of skunking is there. I just slip an old dark tee shirt over mine and use a clothes pin to secure the top tightly around the neck of the carboy. I am guessing some sort of IPA there??

Aye-a clone of Stone's Ruination IPA. One week til blastoff...

As for the covering bit, my iphone makes it look a lot brighter than it really is. 99.999% of the light is all reflecting, so I'm not too worried about it skunking. I took a quick taste prior to dry hopping and it's phenomenal.

Looks wonderful. It really made me want to buy a carboy (they're a bit hard to get here in Sweden) just to see the dry hopping better.

How much beer is that? 5 gallons? If so, that carboy must be HUGE!:drunk: (It also looks delicious!)

I have dry hopped with out a hop bag before.. The problem I ran into was the hops plugging up my auto siphon when transferring. So I just sanitized a make shift hop bag (5 gal nylon paint strainer bag from home depot) and slipped it over my auto siphon and then proceeded to transfer with out it getting plugged up.. Just a little tip that might help.

Latest posts

Back