First Brew! Scared i might have messed up.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So i finished my first brew tonight, everything went well untill i pitched my yeast. I might have done it too early but i do see a few bubbles in the air lock. I think i might have put it in there at about 85-90 degrees, hopefully i didnt ruin them

thats good advice. try to keep your fermenter at about 68 degrees if you can. You're brewing an ale right?

yea its an ale, i got the AC goin in my appartment to keep the beer at about 70. Hopefully it turns out good ill let you guys know

I you want to drop the temp a few more degrees wrap a wet towel around the carboy.

you can get it to 65 which is always good!

Whew... I just started my first brew (Summer Wheat) and pitched at 80. It seems like I should be ok after reading this. My apartment is running in the 70 degree range. Can I move my brew bucket into a bathtub of cool water now so it can stay cooler?

YnkBlu said:
Whew... I just started my first brew (Summer Wheat) and pitched at 80. It seems like I should be ok after reading this. My apartment is running in the 70 degree range. Can I move my brew bucket into a bathtub of cool water now so it can stay cooler?

Yes you can do that but what i did was got
A large tupper ware tub and filled that 1/2 way up with water and took a towel and wrapped it around my carboy . And every once a day just made sure my towel stayed wet. It never gets over 68z. I also keep a small fan blowing on it .

Glad to have found this thread(just brewed my first batch), pitched my yeast in about 85 degrees and was a little worried about it. Now time to relax and wait for the magic to happen. :)

If it turns out you enjoy the hobby ( and drinking the beer ), you will probably be buying a wort chiller soon!
Saves tons of time.

Latest posts

Back