dual-body reg question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ridd

Reaction score
Simple question, but couldn't find the answer in a search.

I have kegconnection house-brand dual-body reg - like so:

RRa0Z.jpg

The shutoff valves aren't labeled. Which way is open and closed?

I ask because I'm testing out my equipment (i.e. playing with my toys) and I noticed that the pressure read-out is constant regardless of which position either of them are in. I can only assume then, that the shutoff valve only controls the gas through the line to the keg, and not to the individual reg body itself. Hopefully.

Thanks.

NM - mod can delete (unless someone finds this helpful), I got too excited. By guess and checking with a marker in the gas quick disconnect, I found that when the shutoff valve is exactly parallel to the gas line, it's on! Otherwise, it's off. Clever.

Yep...perpendicular in either directionis OFF, and parallel is ON.

Anoter note...If you've got a check vavle built-in to the shutoff...if you dail your regulator up too high...and the pressure goes into the keg. When you dial the regulator back down...it only lets off the extra pressure inside the regulator. This is because a tiny ball and spring prevent anything from backflowing from the keg. So if you untintentionally put too much CO2 pressure into the keg...you'll have to relieve it at the keg...by pulling the split ring on the overpressure relief vavle on the keg top (if it has one) OR disconnect your gas disconnect...and push down on the poppet in the center of the keg stem to relieve the extra pressure...Then hook it back up and bring it back up to the desired pressure.

Enjoy the kegging experience. It beats all the heck out of bottling :)

Also, from what I've learned with the exact same regulator......it doesn't have a pressure release like many, (more expensive) regs have....this means, if you crank up the pressure, then unscrew the bolt again, the pressure won't drop on the gauge...until you pull the little red tab to bleed the pressure from the reg for a tenth of a second.....

Don't know if that is counterintuitive to you, but after working with many many many expensive regs at work, (that all automatically bleed pressure when you turn them down), it sure confused me for a moment...

I noticed that too..and it seemed a bit counter-intuitive. I didn't even know what the little red buttons did on the reg until I used it though, so my geekiness led me to figure everything out ;P

Back