Your local recycle center is your friend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaurieGator

Reaction score
Oh boy.... TREASURES!

I decided to visit our local recycle center on Saturday and found some wonderful treasures!

Our first treasure was 4 cases of beer bottles. The kinds without the screw tops! There were all sorts of makes and models but our local place had a bunch of them there that I was able to take home for the price of a bottle of cherry cyser that I brewed up last year. She told me I could also come back next week and pick up some more, so I should be set for bottles for the first 3 -4 batches of beer. I have the first two cases soaking in my other bathtub with a couple of scoops of Oxyclean. I just need to get them clean, I will sanitize on bottling day in a couple of weeks. She also had plenty of wine bottles so I will invade in a few months when I bottle the batch of mead I have fermenting right now...

The second treasure we found were working refrigerators! They had them on sale for $30 each! Now, I just need to clean out some space in the garage to put them. I figure the spare fridge for the beer (after the 3 week sitting time after bottling) and the freezer for making 1/2 gallon ice blocks will be great for cold water fermentation! It is an average sized fridge so it should hold a good amount of beer bottles. Now, I just need an alarm system to keep the 2 legged cellar rats out of the fridge and life will be complete.

Go over and check out your local recyclers. It sure beats $14 to purchase 18 new 12 oz beer bottles that I still have to wash and sterilize...

Why do cold water fermentation? Put a temp controller on the freezer, then you can not only ferment in there, but also use it to crash the beer when you are ready, and lager if you want...

Latest posts

Back