Question about bottle harvesting yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phishfood

Reaction score
I have seen it posted that washing yeast from a yeast cake will net you the more flocculant, less attenuative yeast. This does seem to me make sense.

But now, if you bottle harvest the same strain of yeast, you should get a less fkocculant, more attenuative yeast, no?

If my thinking is correct, it would seem that you could stay much more true to the original strain by alternating between washing yeast cake and bottle harvesting from batch to batch.

Am I on to something, or am I just wandering around drunk?:p

I was always under the impression that there was no difference in harvesting from a bottle or the trub, just with a bottle you might have to consume 3 or 4 to get a decent sample.

3 or 4 beers, the suffering you must undergo to farm some yeast....

I used 1 bottle, and it is doing very nicely. I put it into about 400 ml of leftover wort from my last batch. It is very thick with yeast, and I started it on Sunday afternoon. I'll take a picture and post it later.
Pic of the yeast two days later

I don’t think it matters much because you are building yeast up and creating new colonies of yeast when harvesting from the bottle. When pitching from a yeast cake there is not much growth because you pitched a high cell count and it is more important to get the good yeast in the middle of the cake.

Back