Just moved to secondary...quick question..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fotomatt1

Reaction score
So I just moved my pumpkin ale to my secondary after getting the same SG reading 3 days in a row....1.018. My question is this: My secondary is a better bottle, and it's in my fermentation chamber made from an old wine fridge. It has a clear glass door. Is light going to be a problem for my beer? I know it's supposed to be kept in the dark, and this didn't occur to me until after I racked. It wasn't previously a problem because my primary is a bucket, not a carboy. Help!?

Can you just throw a towel or blanket over the fermenter? It's probably fine with just the small amount of light coming through the door, if it's not in sunshine or bright ambient light, though.

I just draped a towel over the fridge door. I have a significant amount of sunlight in my apartment that is probably not good for my beer.

How about a big piece of construction paper or cardboard taped over the glass? Wouldn't look great, but would solve your light problem.

I'm not sure if it will cut out all the harmful spectrums of light, but you can get window tint at your local auto parts store... just apply it to the window area in the fridge! Or you might be able to get a window tinting place to do it for you.. they may have better light blocking tint (maybe limo tint).

Back